Please advise on Bollinger Band Settings for intraday stocks targeting .02 to .07

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by birdman, Jun 19, 2018.

1. birdman

birdman

Any thoughts on BB settings? I'm trading high volume stocks intraday ... targeting a small 0.02 to 0.07 max ...

Will the standared 20,2 be OK, or do you recommend tweaking? Thanks in advance!

2. fan27

fan27

Do you have a platform for backtesting?

3. birdman

birdman

ThinkOrSwim only.

4. fan27

fan27

I believe TOS has backtesting capabilities. Best to test and see what works best.

5. birdman

birdman

Thanks!

6. Handle123

Handle123

What is it you trying to trade as in terms of when, chop or hard trending, or all around?
    Chop I would go with 10,2 as you want lesser trades and deeper retracements whereas hard trending more like 8, 0.6 and all around 20,2. It been awhile last time I scalped stocks, just found it less money wise to only do futures and faster. Back in the day, didn't matter what I scalped in stocks so long as I knew how much on average price would go against the position.

birdman and beginner66 like this.
  7. birdman

birdman

Hard Trending. I'll put that 8,0.6 on and see how i fare with it. Thank you Handle!

8. lindq

lindq

You question presupposes that anyone other than John Bollinger actually uses Bollinger bands.

9. birdman

birdman

A trader I admire uses BB. I may find they are not for me, but am testing them out.

10. Handle123

Handle123

I use BB on almost all my systems, but you have to have imagination on using them different ways and absolutely well tested risk management rules. I find most traders are very rigid and lack openness to try different things. First ones to complain they lost to HFTs or hedge funds but they never learned to adapt.

#10     Jun 20, 2018