Playing the market Long-Only.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by EMini-Player, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Statistically speaking DO YOU go long only dgmodel?

#21     Mar 26, 2003
  2. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

lmao... of course not... however you cant ignore the facts... however ill tell you this though in my personal port not my trading accnt. i was long 4 positions for 2002 and i closed year end up 54.19%

#22     Mar 26, 2003
  3. All of them were unhedged Gold stocks? :)

#23     Mar 26, 2003
  4. price oscillates. so even in a major down trend, one can make money going long only.

best,

surfer

#24     Mar 26, 2003
  5. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

no...

REGN@13.60, VXGN@5.50 7/26/2002...
    CCMP@34.75, KNM@24.40 11/16/2002...

held them all towards year end... i do not remember what i did with KNM it was my only losing trade i do not remember if i held it year end... id have to look up my statements...

#25     Mar 26, 2003
  6. lindq

lindq

Absolutely you can make money long-only, even in a downtrend. Conceptually, think of a ball bouncing down a flight of stairs. The trend of the motion is down. But the ball will bounce off every step. That's a long trading opportunity. I trade a long-only system that thrives in tough markets because of the volatility. Further, no matter what anyone tells you, it is virtually always more difficult to trade short than long, especially for a new trader.

#26     Mar 26, 2003
  7. I haven't had a short in months and I've been doing fine. I agree with those who like to follow trends, but if you have any kind of software you can find plenty of stocks in up trends. They aren't all gold stocks either.

#27     Mar 26, 2003
  8. Just meant you are handicapping yourself in this environment, by looking for long only..that's all I meant.

If you are very patient then it's possible, but face the facts, the prices have been going down for most things in the past 3 years, not up.

Last week notwithstanding.

#28     Mar 26, 2003
  9. Why would a newbie with a small account want to handicap himself by trading against the dominant trend? Even Bill O'Neill says stand aside during a bear market. If he wants to trade, he should daytrade ES both ways. One lot only and no overnights.

#29     Mar 26, 2003
  10. birdman

birdman

Def,

Please elaborate on single stock futures as compared with simple call & put options.

I see the advantage of bypassing the daytrading rule (for accounts under 25g).

Apart from that advantage, how do options and single stock futures compare.

Example IBM: How will the volume and spreads compare?

I trade options but don't know about futures ... all info appreciated.

#30     Mar 26, 2003