Playing the after hours market with expiring options

Discussion in 'Options' started by FSU, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Adam777

Adam777

Sorry I meant play not trade as per the thread title. You mentioned your broker cutoff time was 5:15 which is much better than a retail broker such as IB’s cutoff time. So I’m really looking for a retail broker with smaller account minimums (even if it’s $25k) with a better cutoff time. TD is out as I’m in Australia

#22     Feb 11, 2020
  2. I like the strategy, on Fridays I like to play with options expiring at the end of the day. But I usually closing out by the end of the day or execute stock shortly after the market close. Never thought about playing deep into the after our session.

#23     Feb 11, 2020
  3. TommyR

TommyR

i tell what i would do. id probably not bother with the option at 5pm nyc i would start hammering deeply on the underlying.

#24     Feb 11, 2020
  4. Doesn't have to be MM's. Could be another trader just trying to close out a useless option for some reason.

#25     Feb 15, 2020
  5. FSU

FSU

To update, Friday Tsla 799.50 about 1 min before the close. Bought the expiring 800 calls for .15. Tsla closed at 800.03. Sold short stock after the close at 800.35 bought back at 799.50, then added a few more scalps. Had to leave at 430et, so I then filed a "do not exercise" on my calls as they were .03 in the money and finished with no position.

I think there is an additional risk here, if for some reason there is a mistake in filing the "do not exercise" I would end up coming in with 1000 shares. I did go over it 10x but there is always that risk.

#26     Feb 15, 2020
    jtrader33 likes this.
  6. traider

traider

Are you using IB? What is the cutoff time for you?

#27     Feb 15, 2020
  7. guru

guru

Then this strategy would quickly stop working if a few traders buy all such available options.
    But usually MMs must post bid/ask quotes at all times and I usually see very large bid & ask qty/size with price that is continually adjusted (on liquid underlyings), which are clearly not retail traders. I just didn’t monitor them near the close.
    Anyway, my question was theoretical to see if someone may have ideas how MMs may deal with such risk on their end.

#28     Feb 15, 2020
  8. traider

traider

They quote huge spreads for options close to expiry. Don't think of a single or 2 option affecting them. Their whole book is more or less delta neutral by the end of the day so 1 or 2 small hits will not affect them.

#29     Feb 15, 2020
  9. You do this with 10 contracts? You made $850 in the stock trade, lost $150 on the options, you had a total profit of $600?

#30     Feb 15, 2020