Platforms that offer custom studies with point and click/drag to set parameters?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by One, Apr 19, 2020.

1. One

One

Hi,

Any recommendations for a platform that offers a reasonably easy way to write custom indicators where the cursor can be used to set parameters directly on the chart (for example the start date for the indicator, or a bands width), rather than manually entering dates, values, etc?

Since most programs allow users to do so with standard tools (trendlines and such) I suspect most allow similar functionality for custom studies. Unfortunately, though, I don't have much experience programming, so a user friendly ap would work best.

Thanks in advance for replies.

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

3. One

One

4. Metamega

Metamega

I use Amibroker. Anything is possible if you can code but what you want might be tricky.

Take a simple indicator like RSI, natively you could use some selection range and have the indicator only calculate on that range but thing is the values never change. An RSI(20) uses 20 days history so it’s just as simple as ignoring outside your range.

Dragging bands with mouse not native but it’s as simple as right clicking chart and setting distance which also offers a slider in the same parameter window for adjusting

Code Wizard is very basic. I’d highly recommend just learning some AFL if you go Amibroke route. It’s not that hard to get going for basic needs. If you can work with Excel a bit you could get started with Amibroker.

Theirs a free trial and think the only limitation is market data isn’t saved so you can just try with the default few symbols that are loaded in or just hook up your data feed every time.

5. One

One

Thanks MM. A couple of questions:

- regarding "selecting the range", if I have a variable (say, "startdatetime") for the indicator, would I be able to set the value for the variable by clicking on the chart at the corresponding date/time?

regarding "dragging the bands", if I have a numerical variable (say "band1"), which is simply added and subtracted from the indicator, would I be able to include functionality to increase and decrease the width of the band right on the chart. I think this is what you meant by "distance" but double checking.

6. One

One

ZBZB and MM, if you are using Amibroker with real time, streaming quotes, could you share which provider you decided on and the price for the service type (say equities, futures, both)? It seems that the data provider page is fairly out of date.

I was able to find references to functionality that looks like it might be similar to what I described - not sure yet.

7. Metamega

Metamega

I’ve used IQFeed for realtime with no issues. I use Norgate for U.S and yahoo for some Canadian stocks. My trading/portfolios are based off swing trades from a few days to few weeks. Just my job and responsibilities, looking for signals at night and entering trades at night meets my goals.

8. Metamega

Metamega

Throw some documentation at you to see what you’d be looking at.

https://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/param.html

param() function.

http://www.amibroker.com/kb/tag/charting/page/3/

A bit down theirs a entry for Oct 10 2014. Think it’s something like your discussing.

You can see the AFL code and then the chart along with the parameters window that is accessed by right clicking. Theirs also GUI button functions if that’s desired.

And yes I meant distance.

9. One

One

Thanks MM - very helpful info. on functionality for setting band width. Still looking for reference to functionality that will allow point and click start times/dates for indicators, but I'm hopeful after reading the links you provided.

Re. data, I'm currently using a Sierra Chart data feed, but am considering feeding AB with IB's True Bar feed. The True Bar stream apparently differs from their standard snapshot stream in that it is delayed by 5 seconds but includes all trades and accurate total volume (not bid/ask volume which is still problematic).