platform for automated trading

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ytr30, Aug 27, 2010.

1. I apologize, if it seems so.

I am an ardent admirer of what Marketcetera is trying to do. As an open source project however, its target market is irrelevant. If I can deploy it....its for me :D Its as simple as that.

But it does seem that the meltdown came at the wrong time for them. Had indicators been the only thing, I could have got somebody to integrate TAlib....and the matter would have been done.

They lack many essential things, even for their target audience the prop. shop. or small hedge fund....a back testing engine, a historical feed db (though there are other products that can fulfill this), adapters to brokers.

I admire their software design but as a ready platform....there's years to go....as a building block for someone who is going to code from scratch....an admirable place to start.

I have seen this again & again. Separate open source software projects, complementary, but not being integrated (speaking of TAlib & similar mature open source Java & non-Java but callable from Java, in case of Marketcetera).

#21     Nov 21, 2010
  2. bharatk8

bharatk8

I am yet to meet a person who uses it for real trading or has run demo for 24*5 hrs.Are you user or marketing guy?

#22     Nov 21, 2010
  3. bharatk8

bharatk8

#23     Nov 21, 2010
  4. bharatk8

bharatk8

Eleventrader
    since most of your posts are about PTM, I wonder if you are associated with them If so, I would suggest to ask them to hire testers for PTM seriously.Your CEO keeps announcing that he is going to hire testers soon but he keeps postponing it again and again.

#24     Jan 12, 2011
  5. Strategy Runner Pro is another trading platform that allows for Automated Strategies. They also offer the Strategy Exchange where hundreds of Systems are available for leasing along with their performance record.

#25     Jan 15, 2011
  6. I'm sorry to learn of Nitrate's struggles with NT.

I've been using it for 2+ years for automated stock trading, and find it to be an exceptionally flexible, low cost platform.

The NT support model relies principally on the online support forum; i.e. you post a question, or a complaint, or whatever, and the support team respond online. So it's all open; there's nothing hidden; and it's more efficient than telephone support, as it builds an online knowledge base ...

But this approach is not to everybody's liking ...

Here it is: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/forum/index.php

Take a look at it yourself, and you should get a good sense of whether the nitrate's of this world are in the majority, or not ...

Hope that helps.

#26     Jan 18, 2011
  7. VT96

VT96

I program in java. Is their any auto trading platform or broker that supports Java?

Thanks.

#27     Jan 19, 2011
  8. LeeD

LeeD

A number of brokers that provide API also provide API in Java - pick your fasvourite and enquire. Interactive Brokers has gone further and their trading platform is in Java.

Regarding independent trading platforms, there is too much choice here. What do you need? Charting, backtesting, manual trading?

#28     Jan 19, 2011
  9. VT96

VT96

LeeD , I want to use it for
    - order routing to all venues for stocks
    - retrieve quotes, prints
    - process position and execution info

Thanks.

#29     Jan 27, 2011
  10. LeeD

LeeD

Sounds like all you need is a broker interface. You would need a 3rd party platform if you wanted aggregatiopn to bars, marking trades on a chart, calculating trading system stats, indicator library etc...

The best thing is not to concentrate on Java. Find a broker that is friendly to automated traders, gives acces to products you need, has gopod commissions and acceptable margins. Any automation-friendly broker is bound to have API for C++. Then just use JNI to convert it into Java API.

#30     Jan 27, 2011