Platform for a trading dashboard

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by LiquidMike, Apr 21, 2024.

1. I would like to build an automated trading platform (still deciding on the brokerage to tie into), but I don't think I have the skills to code the actual trading portion, but I'd like to first start by building the dashboard, so that when I hire a programmer, they can just tie everything into my platform and there aren't issues on expectations, etc... I was thinking bubble.io, appypie or some of those sites, but I obviously need speed and can't be restricted by "X" number of runs per day... any thoughts on what you would use that is easy to build out the platform interface and then that ties in easy to C++ or Python?

I'll probably tie into polygon.io for my data feed as well since it has built in technical analysis.

thanks

2. I'm building pretty much what you describe. Have a headless server backend written in C++ and dashboard UI (written in Dart/Flutter) that connects to the server.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

4. 2rosy

2rosy

The dashboard or UI really has nothing to do with the trading backend. Just create some grid (c# is fine or even web stuff like grafana) that consumes/publishes messages to backend

5. In fairness, good UI does increase productivity. I’ve built myself a backtest browser and it’s super convenient. Don’t have a UI but I can see how it can be useful.

6. 2rosy

2rosy

Yes, I like using ui. Not so much developing them. Maybe, using a game engine would be cool like godot or unreal
    https://github.com/kevindeasis/awesome-ui

7. GUI development is hard. My backtest browser took me forever to build.

Matt_ORATS likes this.
  8. UI/dashboard and backend/server development go hand-in-hand. I think it would be best to contact a full stack developer familiar with both and discuss how you should exactly spec out the project and what environment to use. Also I think it's better to design the project so that broker and data provider specific code is decoupled from the bulk code so that it's relatively easy to add other service providers when needed.

9. I'm looking into just this question for one of my own projects. Grafana is front runner currently:

https://grafana.com/

10. maciejz

maciejz

Just write whatever is easiest for you, especially if you’re not a developer. If, and when, you hire a developer, they will rewrite it many times :) The reality is that code gets rewritten often. Do the simplest thing you can get away with now. When you outgrow it, rewrite. There is no point in “building castles in the sky” now planning for future functionality which you will probably never end up using anyhow. That’s my $0.02.

#10     Apr 22, 2024