Platform Advice

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by kleemc, Nov 18, 2018.

1. kleemc

kleemc

Hi,

I’m new to algorithmic trading but not to trading. I have been a stock and options trader for more than 10 years. I’m interested to try out algo trading. Initially, my interest is in finding trades using algo, ie develop trade ideas and backtesting rather than automated trade executions.

I have searched around and came across two different approaches, ie individual local platforms like Amibroker or online platforms like Quantopian. Both of them seems like good choices I’d like to hear more feedback and advice from those who have used them.

For me, I’ve no issue with programming, especially python and I’m very comfortable dealing with data. So... please give me some advice on either of the two platforms or other platforms that you think I should start with.

Thank you.

2. fan27

fan27

How do you plan on trading your ideas generated from your testing without auto execution? That may determine which platform is best.

3. kleemc

kleemc

Yes i don’t need auto execution. At least not in the initial phase. I’ll just trade manually. The focus of algo is backtesting and trade development. Testing out and validating ideas.

4. fan27

fan27

So it sounds like you will need to be able to visually determine when you have a signal based on your algo. In that case, any of the retail platforms (i.e. Amibroker, NinjaTrader, Multicharts, etc) should support that.

Big AAPL likes this.
  5. carrer

carrer

If you know Python, try Zipline or Backtrader.

6. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

Or MotiveWave.

fan27 likes this.
  7. jonahern

jonahern

Quantconnect is online python environment and has option data...not recommending it as I’m a total newb, just an fyi re option data