Plans to drug test welfare recipients get momentum

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Banjo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. I'm okay with fingerprinting but not drug testing. Opens up a whole different set of problems.Like another poster pointed out, then what? Drug counseling? Then you have issues with fit parent(s).More services to deal with, maybe child protective, neglect, endangering the welfare of a child, etc.The purpose of the money is to provide living expenses for the family.

Maybe it might be better to make a condition of recieving benefits to have susbstance abuse conseling (without the test) or parenting classes or work skills, etc.

#11     Feb 25, 2012
  2. Counseling those who don't need it might come up. The old 'assuming' that they are druggies. Many are, granted.

And many may not be fit parents, good point there.

Smaller government wouldn't fit this scenario as you point out above, that's for sure.

Then they go after smokers (not a bad idea), drinkers, and all the other vices. Then the personal liberties people get involved. The hypocrisy starts to scream, not just yell.

c

#12     Feb 25, 2012
  3. Many people are addicts. I know many many prescription addicts. Benzos, mainly.

I think they should drug test federal recipients. They drug test other people getting federal money, don't they?

But like nutmeg said, if they uncover a pattern of behavior then a new wing of government will have to be created to address this.

If you are prepared to pay for this, fine. If not, read up some more on Ron Paul.

#13     Feb 26, 2012
  4. Eight

Eight

Drugs could be legalized, that would be one giant step forward for mankind... and there still could be drug testing, clearly it's appropriate for people with critical jobs. I wouldn't pass one right now, that's probably the main appeal in trading as a career [more like a part time job], I can grow my hair long and flunk a drug test if I want to... that's what i'm talking about biatches, WIN stands for Work is Nonprofit!!

That whole welfare thingy in the Inner City, wow, I've seen the women waiting in line to get their money and the BK crowd in their gangbanger wagons with that horrible music totally cranked... predators just waiting to take down the prey.. I wonder how anybody keeps their sanity in an environment like that? Psychopaths creep me out, seeing a whole culture overrun by a psychopathic subculture, that's hard to take really... and Democrats have a death grip on those inner city votes and are perfectly willing to fan the flames of racism among the locals every chance they get. Blacks are settling for a lot less than what they are capable of, I don't like the idea that all that talent is bottled up like that..

#14     Feb 26, 2012
  5. kut2k2

kut2k2

FortuneTeller: "I think most people on Welfare sell drugs anyway"

jficquette: "majority can't pass it"

Did you wingnut goobers even read the article in the OP?

"Driving the measures is a perception that people on public assistance are misusing the funds and that cutting off their benefits would save money for tight state budgets — even as statistics have largely proved both notions untrue."

Fact: people on welfare have a lower percentage of drug use than the general population in America.

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011...emented_drug_tests_discrediting_governor.html

Typical rightwing bullshit: looking for "solutions" to problems that don't exist, all in tyrannical attempts to control other people's behavior when you can't even control your own.

Eight: "I wouldn't pass one right now."

#15     Feb 26, 2012
  6. Those are new people applying. Only a dumb ass would apply knowing they couldn't pass a drug screen.

#16     Feb 26, 2012
  7. pspr

pspr

We already know that.

#17     Feb 26, 2012

8. http://www2.tbo.com/news/politics/2...ting-yields-2-percent-positive-res-ar-252458/

Welfare drug-testing yields 2% positive results

By CATHERINE WHITTENBURG | The Tampa Tribune
    Published: August 24, 2011

TALLAHASSEE --

Since the state began testing welfare applicants for drugs in July, about 2 percent have tested positive, preliminary data shows.

Ninety-six percent proved to be drug free -- leaving the state on the hook to reimburse the cost of their tests.

#18     Feb 26, 2012
  9. Obviously the word had gotten out. The druggies cleaned up their act right before they applied. Do they do random testing after they have been on Obamafare for awhile?

#19     Feb 27, 2012
  10. The people who voted for Obama might not be able to read or understand this and still get caught drugged up when they apply.

#20     Feb 27, 2012