PLAN for the worst, Hope for the Best

Discussion in 'Economics' started by tradingbug, Nov 15, 2008.

1. jprad

jprad

Accuracy is relative.

What good is a glock when someone who wants your stuff, and probably wants to stuff your wife, is standing about 100yds away with an RPG and a megaphone?

#31     Nov 15, 2008
  2. damn you are pointing at the worst case here lol :D

#32     Nov 15, 2008
  3. jprad

jprad

#33     Nov 15, 2008
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

[​IMG]

#34     Nov 15, 2008
  5. jprad

jprad

An RPG is far from the worst case if things go tits-up in the way Achilles thinks it will.

If anarchy reigns you'd be foolish to not expect that there are people out there who are better organized, prepared and armed than you are.

#35     Nov 15, 2008
  6. achilles28

achilles28

#36     Nov 16, 2008
  7. jprad

jprad

Here's the top 5 countries in gross cropland from the link I provided:

#1 United States: 179,000 thousand hectares
    #2 India: 169,700 thousand hectares
    #3 China: 135,557 thousand hectares
    #4 Russia: 126,820 thousand hectares
    #5 Brazil: 65,200 thousand hectares

Now, here's the rank each of those countries, population and % of world population:

#4 United States: 305M 4.5%
    #2 India: 1.1T 17%
    #1 China: 1.3T 20%
    #9 Russia: 141M 2.1%
    #5 Brazil: 188M 2.8%

I agree, food is a weapon.

In per capita terms, only Russia is better off, but their ability to deliver remains a question.

#37     Nov 16, 2008
  8. achilles28

achilles28

You don't get it.

Sprawling mono-crop Mega Farms don't provide self-sufficiency. Small family farms do.

Thats what got many people through the great depression. They lived on farms, or on large property where they grew or raised, part or all of their food.

Nowadays, most of the population is urban, packed in like sardines on a postage sized plot of land - if at all. They have no means to provide for themselves and are wholly dependent on Corporations beholden to Government to feed them!!

#38     Nov 16, 2008
  9. nkhoi

nkhoi

find the best match scenario.

#39     Nov 16, 2008
  10. jjftw

jjftw

food

i remember the most important thing on everyone's mind was what are we going to eat today, when we didn't have to worry about the food for that day we worried what to eat that week, and after that about the food for the winter

local grown food was very cheap in dollars but still not very affordable, we ate lots of potatoes, pasta, bread, we were lucky to have a neighbour who worked at the kitchen of a russian military base and he would steal boxes of canned meat and fish and sell to us for below market price

one time the quality of bread in the stores got really bad, the bread got nicknamed "crocodile" because of the colour and the top of the bread loaf reminding crocodile skin, it was wet, heavy and impossible to eat, i wasn't a picky person when it came to food but i refused to eat it, so i was sent to the bakery of the military base to get normal bread, the lines were huge, you had to wait at least 2-3 hours to get the chance to buy some bread, sometimes longer, so i used to go around 4 o'clock in the morning to avoid staying in long lines

anything imported was very expensive and not affordable to most people, i remember around 1991 Mars and Snickers candy bars came out in some shops and lots of commercials were shown on russian tv channels, so for my classmate's birthday i decided to buy a snickers candy bar plus something else, but my mom said it will be too much of a gift and the candy bar should be enough, so i bought one and during his birthday his father cut that thing in about 8 little pieces so that everyone can taste it, and we weren't impressed by it, but at least we had tried it, so it was a memorable day

#40     Nov 16, 2008