Pivot points for tomorrow

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jmis, Nov 4, 2003.

1. jmis

jmis

since there's so much debate about pivot pts lately, i'm going to post my numbers here for you guys to compare. i use funky's formula (kinda like all the midpts ;) ), and i use high/low/close # of the day, no overnight #. i calculate these daily anyway, mostly as references, and i find them to be very good references some day.

it will be in this order: s2-s1-p-r1-r2

for 11/5
    es: 1046 - 1049.25 - 1053 - 1056.25 - 1060
    nq: 1415 - 1422 - 1433 - 1440 - 1451

note: if my # is way off, please let me know, i'm easily distracted ;).
    2nd note: i'm only trading fulltime for a few months and i barely keep myself in the green, so if anyone can offer insight on how to better use pivots, please let me know asap. tnx.

jmis

2. franklin

franklin

Assuming we're getting close to agreeing on the formulas to use, what H, L, C values do others prefer using, and what is the "proper" source of these numbers (if any)? Here are some possibilities to choose from for ES:

ES 24-hour prices
    ES day session prices (830-315 CST)
    SP pit prices
    SP pit settlement prices (from CME site)

I thought I knew what I was doing (using a TS indicator based on ES day session prices), but am now confused. :)

3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I use my own prices from my own charts. A little variation is no big deal.

4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Since pivot trades are generally reversal trades, which are generally counter-trend, it pays to use at least one or two filters to prevent yourself from repeated trades against the trend.

One such filter might be to trade only those apparent pivot reversals if they coincide with some other more important S/R.

Another might be to trade only those reversals which include a divergence of some sort.

5. Ebo

Ebo

Just use the Day Session for The Big or Mini!
    You guys are making pivot points way more relevant to a profitable trading system than they actually are.
    Yes indeed ES did find support at R1 @1050.
    They are not as mystical as some think!

R1 1056.33
    S1 1049.33

6. To all posters:
    I have to agree with Ebo. You guys have beaten this horse half to death. Its just pivoits. You still have to decide where to enter, manage the position, and exit. Once you enter, it just like base jumping. You have no choice but to "hang on" and decide when to pull the cord. If your not doing it right, you are losing money. If you have it under control, you arent posting to this thread. Once you understand the concept (pivots as points of support or resistance) there is NO SUBSTITUTE for practice. The P&L report doesen't lie. Steve46

7. Ebo

Ebo

Wilburrrrrrrr!!!

8. Tbill1

Tbill1

nq: 1415 - 1422 - 1433 - 1440 - 1451

note: if my # is way off, please let me know, i'm easily distracted ;).
    2nd note: i'm only trading fulltime for a few months and i barely keep myself in the green, so if anyone can offer insight on how to better use pivots, please let me know asap. tnx.

jmis [/B][/QUOTE]

S2=P- (R2-S1)

S2 should be 1404

Tbill

9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

S2=P-(R1-S1). 1415 is correct. I believe you're looking at S3.

10. Tbill1

Tbill1

Hi,

We must be using different systems. I use R2,R1, Pivot, S1,and S2. I thought he made an error because all his other points closely match mine.

Regards, Tbill

#10     Nov 5, 2003