Pivot Point Trading Strategy

Discussion in 'Trading' started by larrybf, Feb 2, 2002.

1. bhale

bhale

dgzadok,
    I couldn't get to that site. Do you suppose it's down?

#11     Jun 4, 2003
  2. prox

prox

Use it as confirmation, or as an extra support or resistance in your favor.

If it matches with a fib level or a prior major resistance, it is much more likely to reverse there (confluence et al)

Since you are basically trying to pick tops and bottoms, make sure you systemize how you get in, when you are wrong, when it is a fake, and how to take profits.

I've traded solely off pivot points for a few months, and it does work remarkable at times and also looks hopeless at times .. finally figured out it wasn't meant to be traded alone and only as another tool in the box.

#12     Jun 5, 2003
    johnnyrock likes this.
  3. prox

prox

It's spelled Britney.. and yes, I watch too many of her videos even if it is intentionally on Mute. :D

#13     Jun 5, 2003
  4. QCharts has a "volume at price" study which is very good to identify support and resistance levels. Seems to work a little
    better than "time at price" i.e. looking for levels on the bar or
    candle chart, because you can be fooled by low volume trading stretches.

#15     Jun 5, 2003
  5. bubba7

bubba7

this statement is flawed.

#16     Jun 5, 2003
  6. Understanding S&R and pivots is one of the keys to trading the S&P. They aren't buying and selling them on the floor because they like GE's fundamentals. They also have no idea where the stochastic is.

#17     Jun 5, 2003
    johnnyrock likes this.
  7. bhale

bhale

Forgive me but I'm just speculating, but...
    Don't most 'floor traders' actually sit at computers these days, and have runners doing actual pit trading? I know that the commodities markets still use floor traders , but in a market like S&P futures, and forex, the trading is not 'open cry', is it? If that's the case, then all these indicators are tools and visual aids to tell you something more than what price action is saying.

#18     Jun 5, 2003