Pit Bull Safety

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChkitOut, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Max E.

Max E.

LOL your dog "missy" definately looks like the kind of dog you have to be fearful of..... :D

When i was younger my sister got mauled by a labrador, and she ended up needing 15 stitches in her arm, so when i was young i always had a natural fear of any medium/large dog.

Then i moved in with a buddy of mine, and the first time i walked into his house he had 2 pitbulls who would bark when you first came in, but they were just doing what any dog would, and they were actually well behaved, just very energetic. I remember being scared shitless of those 2 dogs at first because i had that preconcieved notion that pitbulls are agressive.

Within like 10 minutes i was comfortable rolling around on the floor and wrestling with them, and all the fear was gone. We even got a kitten shortly after and these pitbulls naturally knew not to bite even though the kitten would claw the shit out of them, our pitbulls would just kind of "gum" the kitten without ever biting, there were times when they would have the kittens entire head buried in their mouth, and it would worry me a bit, but they always knew not to bite. They would chase each other all over the house, it was hilarious because the kitten was probably only like 2 pounds, but she basically bossed our pitbulls around. By the time i moved out of my buddies house, i was letting the dogs sleep in my bed every night when my girlfriend wasnt there. They were my 2 favourite dogs ever. I now am willing to go up to any big dog i see, provided i can tell that they are nice, so the pit bulls were rehab for me, as they helped get rid of my fear of big dogs.

Anyways, it is sad that so many people have this preconcieved notion that pit bulls are agressive. Sadly until most people meet a pitbull for the first time, they will always hold onto the false belief that pit bulls are agressive dogs.

#31     Jun 17, 2011
  2. oddsman

oddsman

If u think theyre blood thirsty and unpredictible, raise one from a pup. U can tell people u have a Staffordshire Terrier if it makes u feel better. It's the slimeball owners, not the dog

#32     Jun 17, 2011
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Thanks bro! I'm just an old school dog guy I guess. I've had a dog since I was a baby, and that's well, 30++:D years. :(

I'll work with other animals too, but dogs are what I'm known for. Funny this came up. I took a shortcut today that takes me through about 30 minutes of rural area, vs. waiting on a hot interstate for 45mins+

I saw what I thought was a powerline laying in the road, but when I got closer, that wasn't it. There were three dogs barking at it, and a guy came out of his house wondering what his dogs were barking at + me off the road standing on the side of it. He was going to get a shovel and "smash" what was about a 7 foot blacksnake (non-poisonous) that wanted to lay on the warm asphalt. I stepped lightly on it's head, picked it up, and told the guy I'd move it down the road. The crazy thing wrapped around my forearm, and it's tail was touching the floorboard of my GMC suv as I tried to drive. I found a large field, pulled over, and had to literally unwrap this damn thing from my forearm, and get him in the weeds. (I'm scared of snakes, but face the fear every now and then with people who are dumb enough to buy a baby Python, and think it won't grow big enough to kill them, etc.,) I should have taken a cell phone pic of it, but I was actually sweating trying to get it unwrapped from my forearm. Lol I used to kill every snake I came into contact with when I was in the Marine Corps, but since, have found that the non-poisonous types found in the US are usually eating rats, bugs, and believe it or not, other venemous snakes. Old school farmers in the rural parts of my state will usually be glad to have an 8 foot older blacksnake in their barn. They know these things will eat what would be a problem for the farmer to deal with such as mice/rats eating wires, crops, etc., birds in the barn that carry disease, copperheads/rattlesnakes, and even the occasional baby bunny. Lol

As for LEAPup, I made that name as I used to incorporate a long only LEAPS strategy. Insurance agents in my area would be refered to me who had clients with non-qualified (non-ira rollover, non-401k, etc.,) money that they were putting into what is called an equity indexed annuity. The one's they were doing were 10% bonus annuities, and the money was "guaranteed" to never be less than what they put in. (please note, I do NOT advocate the sale of equity index anuities. I'll post why later if one of you wants to know. I'm close to hitting the rack. Lol)

I would take the bonus $ (what the insurance agents would consider "house noney" as it was a 'bonus' of 10% of what the client initially invested. i.e., they put in $500K, they were credited in their account $550k), and buy $50k in LEAPS without the insurance agents clients paying me a fee or commissions. (Just what IB charges me is passed on.) The insurance agents paid me a flat Investment Advisory fee for the service, and the clients signed the documents for me to have discression over their account(s). Worked good for the Clients as they weren't fee'd to death, and having to pay pershing, nfs, etc., expensive clearing houses since I'm independent and decided to go with IB.

It worked well until the insurance companies decided that a 10% bonus needed to come with even more strings, and I had to bow out knowing that people have no business owning these with the new "improvements" they've made. In addition, these annuities don't pay the insurance agent nearly as much commission $ these days, so you probably imagine with the agents not making as much $, they aren't motivated to do the work...

Such is life...

#33     Jun 17, 2011
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

Have you ever posted a positive article? Maybe an article where something good happened, and it made people happy to read it? I can post great white shark attack articles, and we can all be so scared of the ocean, we stay on the beach if that would make you happy.

Btw, what are you smoking?:confused:

#34     Jun 17, 2011
  5. Max E.

Max E.

Yeah exactly. I could post an article of a person who died due to a kick from a horse, in order to make horses seem agressive if i wanted to. But it would not in any way be an accurate portrayal of how horses generally behave, and it doesnt ever happen if the horse is properly trained.

#35     Jun 17, 2011
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Lol! Yes, she sleeps 35 hours per day. She gets excited over food, kids petting her, puppies, and sleep. Lol!

And as far as getting bit by a dog, it's usually OUR fault for displaying the one thing that really tempts a dog to bite: Fear.

When I work with an aggressive dog, I'll immediately establish control, and the FACT that I'M in charge not him/her. Meaning, I never have to smack a dog, or anything ignorant like that. I take control, and let him/her know that they'll do what I say or else there's a correction coming. (tug on the leash making them feel more shameful than in any pain. Dogs don't like to feel shameful, they're wanting to show loyalty, so this is effective in establishing control vs. smacking around, etc.,

Best thing a person can do when confronted by an aggressive dog is DO NOT run. Lol! You're seen as weak then, will get chased, and bitten. Lol Stand your ground, and let the dog know you're there and NOT afraid. I often say, "get over here big baby," with an authoratitative tone, but not a threatening (challenging) tone. Just a confident stance, no eye contact, but authoritarian voice/commands. ANY sign of fear to an aggressive dog is literally an invitation to the dog biting.

#36     Jun 17, 2011
  7. Mercor

Mercor

I would categorize aggressive dog bites as a "Black Swan event".

How do you prepare for these swans in your trading or daily life?

#37     Jun 17, 2011
  8. Max E.

Max E.

Yeah its crazy how dogs react to confidence/fear. It will never cease to amaze me when Ceasar Milan (the dog whisperer) who is like 5'5 and 140 pounds stands up to an agressive dog.

All he does is stand his ground and do that little tssssst thing with a little jab in the ass and he can make a dog subservient when it previously wanted to tear his damn head off, and half the time the dog is bigger than him. He is all about the confidence thing as well, and the kind of things he can do with dogs in such a short timeframe is s miracle.

A few weeks ago i wathced him train two great danes who were probably both bigger than him, and they were agressive, and impossible to walk, cause they would drag the owners. Within 5 minutes that guy had them both doing what he wanted just with a little jab in the ass when they were bad, he is all about being confident like you just said.

#38     Jun 17, 2011
  9. Eight

Eight

Pit Bulls, wow, I saw some gangsta's with a Hyiena once, I kid you not, it was in Southern California, not Africa... they had it on a leash, I wasn't into the dogfighting so I never knew what they did with it but bigger than S^&t, a couple of guys had a Hyiena on a leash.. it looked so strong I don't think a dog could do much against it....

#39     Jun 17, 2011
  10. I have been attacked by a pair of Rottweilers, a pair of Dobermans, numerous Labs, Alsatians, and all manner of other sundry dogs.

And only just lived to tell the tale. And many Pits, in case your wondering.
    Its true, they do not release like some other breeds, unless your talking about trained security dogs.

People, please-if you want to own a dog, get it fucking trained right.

#40     Jun 17, 2011