Pit Boys Hurting

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Free Thinker, Mar 7, 2003.

1. up from 30-something not too long ago. a sign that certain players have backed off, I suppose.

#11     Mar 7, 2003
  2. Yeah me....

I'm down from 2m shares a month to around 150-300k a month. Just nothing much to trade anymore. Every trade just seems like treading water.

To avoid overtrading, I just keep taking vacations, trading the open and going back to sleep. I'm in Houston now. I really recommend that all other traders just step away, envelope some long term positions and kick back.

I'm not gonna push it til the geopolitical crap is ironed out. Even if I can only make 3-5% a month until they get that bugger. How much longer can it take anyway, 6-months, a year?

Then we can all put some octane on and jack the lever up and go for 20% months.

#12     Mar 8, 2003
  3. TG

TG

Interesting to me that program trading is such a high % of daily volume. Its amusing to hear market commentators speak about investors on a daily basis when I imagine their daily activity is probably an infinitesimal % of daily activity. Curious to know what makes up other portion of daily volume, hedge funds which are really speculative funds, a large part I guess.
    This market just teaches discipline and need to focus on a limited number of stocks and just trade them.

#13     Mar 8, 2003
  4. There are 6000 hedge funds; they play the short-side the way the retail day-trader played the long side in the late 90s.

In my estimation, I would be short hedge-funds as a group as roughly 1/2 are likely to get obliterated.

My cousin, who is an Institutional Broker; lost a 1B client last Sept, in Jeff Fineberg, who closed his fund due to lack of knowing what to do in this environment. He's been in biz for 20+ years.

That's telling.

And yes, your last sentence is dead on.

Good trading to you,

Best,
    David

#14     Mar 8, 2003
  5. Superb. Poetry dude, sheer flockin poetry!

#15     Mar 10, 2003
  6. in a perverse way this is all actually encouraging.

#16     Mar 10, 2003
  7. the nyse is just not tradeable now, from a scalping perspective. it's definitely a dice roll.

ok, here's price improvement for you. Had a limit order in at the offer. Was filled ten cents over -- this new number never showed up anywhere except as a print.

Yeah, hey, that was nice, but whoa, baby, I don't like trading in the dark. I don't do this to gamble. I do this because I have an edge. But this business where posted bids and offers mean practically nothing is crap.

#17     Mar 10, 2003
  8. STOCK AHEAD!

#18     Mar 10, 2003
  9. yeah that's a flashback.

welp, if nothing else, this is forcing me to be a trend rider / fader, versus scalper.

#19     Mar 10, 2003
  10. i was thinking with that low tick we might see a bounce...

this is like engaging in a shoot-out for pennies...

#20     Mar 10, 2003