Pirated movie shown on national TV. Intellectual property is dead.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Mar 6, 2011.

1. RedDuke

RedDuke

The model that I think will win the future is unlimited streaming of video and music, with some pricing tiers for newest content. Cloud is the future for sure as well.

Unless this is done, the revenues will keep falling, and like previously said mostly due to demographics.

#11     Mar 7, 2011
  2. I agree.

The independent 10 million dollar movie is usually better than the 100 million dollar movie.

If we can get everybody to pirate movies, maybe they'll be made more for art's sake, rather than strictly commercial reasons. (And the way the economy is now, do you really lay awake at night worrying you're not giving enough money to some business? - that business's marketing is *really* getting inside your head).

#12     Mar 7, 2011
  3. topeak

topeak

actors are wayyy overpayed.

i feel instead of investing in hollywood
    all that money should be relocated to
    education so our kids have a better chance
    in the future versus importing all these
    doctors n other talent from overseas.

just a thought... :p

#13     Mar 7, 2011
  4. Mayhem

Mayhem

What? No Will Smith turning on his ghetto-accent and saying, "Oh-no, he didd eeen't" while he punches out a space alien/zombie/bad guy/mechanical spider?

Who wants to live in a world like that?

#14     Mar 7, 2011
  5. Actors are salesmen first and actors second. People will go to a movie based on who is in it. If America didnt worship these people, actors would get nowhere near the amount of money they get and movies would be seen based on how good the plot is and not which hollywood actress is going to take her top off.

#15     Mar 7, 2011
  6. olias

olias

well said

#16     Mar 7, 2011
  7. The point is that it wasn't a brand new movie that hasn't been shown in the cinemas.
    ----------------------------

Great point.

My Record Label releases Free Promo's a week before the Song actual hits the stores. This has not hurt the sales and it actually brings more interest in prior releases.

We use to worry about "pirated" songs and what the slippage would be. For my small label, it was a very small %s. We chalked it up as the price for PR.

Intellectual property is not dead. All my production is my intellectual property backed by BMI and copy written. However, this means nothing until you want to "Fight" piracy in the courts. If someone rips off a bassline, hook, what ever, I don't care.

For the Major Movie houses and Labels, they spend billions in PR. That is why they panic with Piracy.

I do not believe in theft but what can you do about? NOTHING!

Its part of the Entertainment Business now. Just like you have slippage in the Markets, you have slippage in Entertainment.

Unless you wana battle the "Theft" in court, you deal with it.

#17     Mar 7, 2011
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

I look at it as The Circle of Life. The internet took our privacy away, in return we got free downloads. In the big schemes of things, we even out, the great Equalizer doing his work.

By the way:

The Hurt Locker

Cost: 11 million
    US box office: 16.4 million

Wiki says cost was 15 mill and worldwide box office 40 mill.
    U.S. sales of the DVD topped $30 million by mid August 2010.

For extra fun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_hurt_locker#Copyright_infringement_lawsuit

#18     Mar 7, 2011
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

We pay $13.00 a pop and the movie sucks :D I'd rather see it for free...:D

They spend 100million on a movie that pays the the lead actor $20mill...some of the best movies are the cheap to make ones, but yes I agree with ya.

#20     Jan 3, 2012