Pirated movie shown on national TV. Intellectual property is dead.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Mar 6, 2011.

1. d08

d08

2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Hurt Locker is 18 months old. I can get it from my library for FREE.....

The point is that it wasn't a brand new movie that hasn't been shown in the cinemas.

3. Yes, and I should be able to mass copy all of the Harry potter books and sell them because those arent brand new either and I can also get those at the library for free, right?

The people who make movies/book/ect should profit from them as long as they are able. If people just start copyright infringing, then before you know it, hollywood is no longer going to spend 100 million dollars for a movie. We will get low budget crap movies shot in super 8 because hollywood cant recoup its costs when it spends lots of money on a film.

4. True and let's step back and think about what started all of this. Overpriced BS at the theaters with a boatload of commercials and $10 plus priced tickets. Let's not forget some punk ass kicking the back of your chair. Then we had BB and NFLX, but they kept sending dirty movies with food crumbs on them. So what's left. The push to 3D is smart. People will pay for value. They just don't like being rip offed no more than the movie and record biz. While we are on records, remember the good old days. $20 CD with 3 good songs and filler, maybe 4 on a "solid" CD. Now before you tell me I don't have to watch or listen we should all know in the real world most people will do the right thing until you rip them off enough and then they level the playing field, ie. BitTorrent. So Tom Cruise doesn't upgrade as much now, cry me a river.

5. Most of the people still buying new movies and CD's are probably old(er) and not capable or knowledgeable on how to get it for free.

Give it another 10 years and watch official revenue take another huge hit simply due to demographics.

There is nothing they can do.

Maybe they can buy internet providers and jack up prices.

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

7. LeeD

LeeD

I assure this is exactly what happens in Belarus with books on a pretty industrial scale... and with movies on DVD too.
    This is not a human rights issue but a legal techinicality.

The library paid for the DVD. Further, they paid extra to get a copy licensed for rental, not just home use. Most libraries are paid from from local taxes. So, in effect, people living locally paid in their taxes for Pekelo to be able to get Hurt Locker from the local library for free.

Same with television. Although on "free to air" TV it may be free to watch the movie, the studio usually gets paid by the TV channel.

In Belarus they just didn't get the movie label' permission to show the movie.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

I guess not, although I thought for decades of Russian occupation they deserved a free movie. I know, I have a soft heart...

9. d08

d08

I consider myself somewhat of a movie enthusiast. The 100 million dollar movies tend to be of horrible quality, done like 90 minute advertisements. It would be a good thing if more low budget movies should appear. The 100 million price tag means there are people involved who are way overpaid. All industries change, those who fight change always lose in the end - and that's a good thing.

#10     Mar 7, 2011