ping times

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by newycity, May 3, 2006.

1. newycity

newycity

i am hearing that ping times for order executions can vary but for orders in the ten packet range, the timing should be at 1-5 milliseconds. my firm is telling me that this is not possible. That my 100 milliseconds is as good as it gets. Please give me your experience and feedback so i know i'm not getting a bad deal.. I have met with firms that claim to be better but are they really?? Time is of the utmost importance.. thx all......

2. Where is your server located and how many hops away is it? tracert or traceroute can tell you this.

100ms is just absurd, I get 40ms to Lime on a bad day from my colo in austin, when i relocate to the same colo in NY the ping will be between 1 and 5 ms.

3. Ping measures round-trip network latency which has nothing to do with order execution delay. I don't understand which you are asking about.

4. newycity

newycity

thx for the reply i am finding out the details tonight and will follow up with you..

5. tomcole

tomcole

Try using ping plotter for speeds to your price server and then poke around dslreports.com for tips on how to "speed up" your pc, connection etc.

There are a bunch of variables that affect what you're concerned about.