Ping times for Dialup/Broadband users

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abishiai, Aug 18, 2003.

1. taodr

taodr

#11     Aug 18, 2003
  2. DougS

DougS

Keep in mind that yahoo.com has servers in two locations: on the west coast and the east coast. That's why you'll see a very fast ping for those living in CA.

Being in Chicagoland, my ping is 60ms or so to the west coast, 35ms to the east. I'm on Comcast for now.

Doug

#12     Aug 18, 2003
  3. H2O

H2O

If you want to check your connection you have to know where you're pinging from. (Where do you live)

I live in Europe (NL) and I have a very fast ADSL

Ping (IB US server) - 120 ms
    Ping (IB Europe ) - 37 ms

You can also do a tracert (just use the word "tracert" in stead of "ping") This will show you the route and the servers (hops)

If there's a severe deley, you can see where it occurs.

Hope this helps

#13     Aug 18, 2003
  4. 20ms, Cox Cable, Phx, AZ

#14     Aug 18, 2003
  5. <10ms

Will anyone beat me?

#15     Aug 18, 2003
  6. hmap1

hmap1

2ms Direct connections to ECN's :)

#16     Aug 18, 2003
  7. Ping time has to do more with the length of the path you're routed to the destination over as opposed to the speed of your last mile connection.

The Yahoo website is hosted in San Jose - so you'd expect those on the west coast to have shorter ping times than the midwest and those in the midwest to generally have shorter ping times than those on the east coast.

Whether you're on a 56K dialup or a 2MB cable link will have little impact on the result - it's the # of hops and the length of the overall round trip virtual circuit.

Currently from Chicago I'm getting 30-31ms to their east coast servers in the Washington DC suburbs and 47-60ms to their west coast servers in San Jose, CA

#17     Aug 18, 2003
  8. LouieR

LouieR

194ms to dial.sbc.yahoo.com

#18     Aug 18, 2003
  9. TGregg

TGregg

26 ms on box busy with stuff on Cable from NC USA.

#19     Aug 18, 2003
  10. Hydrogen

Hydrogen

Ping time 30 ms (SBC/Yahoo DSL). North-West Indiana

#20     Aug 18, 2003