PIMCO on Floor Vs. Screen

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by bone, Jan 23, 2003.

1. damir00

damir00 Guest

you just crossed into "said too much" land. :)

#111     Sep 16, 2003
  2. bone

bone

Today the Eurex CEO will be in Chicago to announce more details about their new American exchange.

Maverick: make hay while you can. All good arbs or leading indicators go away eventually - usually sooner than later. Get on a good sizing program and develop it.

#112     Sep 16, 2003
  3. mcurto

mcurto

Hello everyone,

Yeah, it really looks like Eurex and LIFFE are doing pretty well in the US. People do not trade somewhere unless there is liquidity. And as of right now, there is no liquidity at either of those exchanges. Also, the Merc stepped up to the Eurodollar challenge and now look at how quickly much of the business shifted off of the floor. As of right now, customers get to choose their preferred venue to trade many popular products and look at the margin savings created by the common clearing link. Never underestimate the greatest country in the world. The floor will phase out when the technology becomes better, and in the case of Eurodollars, butterflies and options will soon be available on the screen, so that may be sooner than later.

Also, as someone who has worked on the floor as a clerk and has many friends whose father's trade on the floor I have learned that you have to adapt. Which is why I have begun looking for work off of the floor at a prop firm. The opportunities to trade electronically are endless, and don't underestimate Chicago once the floor completely shuts down. Volumes are exploding as a result of offerring both venues, specifically in Eurodollars, and it doesn't seem like there is an end in sight. The Merc traded over 3 million Eurodollar contracts last Friday after that jobs number. Yeah, I guess there is no money to be made trading in Chicago on or off the floor.

mcurto :cool:

#113     May 13, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Dude, Eurex rocks man. They are trading like 1500 contracts a day in the US. That's right, 1500. LOL. Sure it might not be the 3 to 5 million that trade a day on the CME and CBOT but still man, 1500 is great! I mean, some days when it's really crazy, they get up to 2000 or so. Oh yeah baby, go Eurex! :D

#114     May 13, 2004
  5. while not a riskless trade ... there is a high level of consistentcy as long as you're willing to sit on the DJ vs. SP spread for days or weeks as needed.

#115     May 13, 2004
  6. The big boyz already have the game running where they need it.

Never gonna get them to move to a different table, unless the suckers move thier first.

#116     May 14, 2004
  7. Can anyone give me the low-down on what happened to Soros' order in the crash of '87?

#117     May 21, 2004
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Just for fun, I thought I would bring one of the older threads back from the dead in light of my accurate prediction. While I called these events two years ago on this very site, I took a lot of heat for my predictions.

But just as I have predicted, it looks as though a CME/CBOT merger is inevitable, Eurex has been thoroughly beaten to a pulp and Chicago is still alive and thriving. As we speak, both the CME and CBOT are shattering volume records.

Where are all the Eurex defenders these days anyways?

#118     Jul 23, 2005