Pilots Spot Guy with Jetpack at 3000 ft

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Option_Attack, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Seen near LAX. What a nut...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...-3-000-feet-in-the-air/ar-BB18A6kT?li=BBnbklE

A man in a jetpack—a flying device worn on the back which propels you into the air—was reportedly spotted flying 3,000 feet in the air near a plane that was approaching Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Sunday evening.

The pilot for American Airlines flight 1997 (AA1997) told air traffic control tower crew: "Tower, American 1997, we just passed a guy in a jetpack...off the left side [of the plane], maybe 300 yards or so, about our altitude," FOX 11 Los Angeles.

Another pilot, believed to be operating a SkyWest Airlines flight, confirmed to tower crew: "We just saw the guy passing by us in the jetpack."

The tower crew also warned a JetBlue pilot about the incident: "JetBlue 23, use caution, person in a jetpack report
    The pilot operating the JetBlue flight 23 replied: "We heard and we are definitely looking."

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is investigating the "unverified report" of the man in a jetpack. The FAA was said to have sent the report to the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) for further investigation. But the LAPD has not received a report from the FAA, FOX 11 Los Angeles reported...

2. virtusa

virtusa

Jetman

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Completely pointless if you need a parachute to land. Next!

4. virtusa

virtusa

If you watched the video's you should have seen that they can land without parachute too. All depends of the amount of fuel they take with them.

5. themickey

themickey

I'm guessing that was part of testing the system in case of mechanical malfunction or running out of fuel.

virtusa likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

I watched the two videos. I didn't see a VTOL? The first vid was the guy just flying around (no landing from altitude), the second showed the guy with the parachute?

7. virtusa

virtusa

second video at 02:01 he is landing. after that he flies away.
    watch the video again

8. mlawson71

mlawson71

I'd love to see a video shot from the point of view of the person in the jetpack. :D

9. Cuddles

Cuddles

how'd he get so high w/the weight of those balls on him?

10. mlawson71

mlawson71

The jetpack is just that powerful. :D

#10     Sep 20, 2020