Piers Morgan Blows Up on Larry Pratt Over Gun Rights

Discussion in 'Politics' started by achilles28, Dec 19, 2012.

1. BSAM

BSAM

"Criminal control" in this context means armed security on campus, teachers with guns, locked down campus buildings, stronger background checks, no gun show sales without background checks, video surveillance, etc.

#11     Dec 19, 2012
  2. Let's say you're right that "more amercians want stricter gun control." Wouldn't you say though that it is far from universal? That it is likely highly regionalized in blue states?

What is so terrible about letting each state work it out on a local basis? We're not talking about vast terrorist networks or criminal gangs. I don't see why it needs to be handled at the federal level. What makes sense for NYC might be laughable in Montana or Alaska or highly unpopular in Texas or Florida.

Isn't that why we have states in the first place?

#12     Dec 19, 2012
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

You have a source for that along with the exact percentage?

#13     Dec 19, 2012
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Because of the 2nd Amendment, I think it is a federal issue.
    These issues have been argued before the supreme court.

I think whatever comes out of the current debate will be decided in the supreme court.
    I think Obama wins, as long as he doesn't go left wing wacko.

If the wackos on the supreme court let Obamacare slide thru, I can't imagine them not allowing stricter gun control.

#14     Dec 19, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Why? Criminals don't, as a rule, bother to get a background check before committing murder. Is it your contention we should require by law background checks of anyone contemplating a murder?

#15     Dec 19, 2012
  6. #16     Dec 19, 2012
  7. You are hopelessly confused.

The Second Amendment originally applied only to the states.

States have the authority to enact gun laws, provided they don't infringe the Second Amendment. Several states now have limits on magazine capacity and other restrictions.

To me, this is the quintessential local issue. The last thing that makes sense is a one size fits all approach for the entire country.

#17     Dec 19, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

"Fifty-four percent of Americans in an ABC/Washington Post poll supported tighter gun control, a five-year high...

...The poll was conducted Dec. 14-16 among 620 adults.

I'm not a pollster, but isn't that a mighty small sample? Not to mention it was conducted by a known politically biased institution.

Lets say for the moment it's representative. It's barely a majority AND the sample was taken immediately after a major school shooting. While emotions are bound to come into play?

#18     Dec 19, 2012
  9. BSAM

BSAM

The 2nd amendment applies to every state in the United States.
    I'm not sure all those state laws are legal, via the 2nd amendment.

#19     Dec 19, 2012
  10. BSAM

BSAM

#20     Dec 19, 2012