PI

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by mr_byte31, Aug 31, 2018.

1. I was looking on some stocks trying to learn why they started to have fast move.
    I came to PI and it jumped in may and then soared !

[​IMG]

i tried to track why it moved that high but didn't find any specific reason for this jump.
    I assumed it has a chang in the fundamentals.
    I looked to their last 10-Q and I see they are making more losses !
    reference : https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1114995/000156459018011919/pi-10q_20180331.htm

EPS was -0.68 in 2018 and -0.11 in 2017!

Can anybody help me to understand such thing. I am sure this will be an interesting case study!

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

As humans, we tend to get "captured" by the data in front of us, thinking that 'all that matters' is right there.

But you've printed out a much further graph than the May jump or the post-May 'soar that captured you: you've printed out a winter decline, and a Groundhog Day plummet. (This, then, captures *my* little brain.)

So, you wonder about a "soar" that I would term a "recovery".

The thing is, there are both company shocks and market shocks that need to be accounted. Putting up an SPX would help -- maybe even the applicable sector, too.

But the bigger point is, to not be captured by the data in front of us, practicing a telescope routine of focusing in and out (1min to 2+years) is SO required.

3. Hmmm. Why shall we call it a recovery if the earnings are not recovered ?

The weekly chart even doesn't sound like and up-trending stock that is willing to recover :
    [​IMG]

4. SunTrader

SunTrader

Jumpy is what it is (note there are also some that are referred to as laps, gaps that fill same day, that are not labeled). Quick check on yahoo finance shows all kinds of lawsuit filings pending:
    PI gaps.png

5. are you talking about why it is going lower or why it is soared?
    I think gap down is indication about poor performance in company's fundamentals (earnings )
    but the Jump up is not justified :(

6. Gaps in 3 month intervals? That would be earnings announcements (good consistency here too!). A gap and climb to the next channel for the next quarter is pretty ordinary earnings behavior. If I had to guess, I'd say the May ER was when the market decided this thing had a path to profitability.

7. how did they decide it is on the path to profitability ?

8. Huh...just looked at their earnings...That is most decidedly not a path to profit.

You bring up a good question. Maybe it's a question of 'stop the bleeding' being in sight?

mr_byte31 likes this.
  9. buncha bad earnings, consolidation, better earning and also an upgrade plus a volume spike on the scanners for the momentum crowd. (the orange bars at the bottom are the news spikes. check it on Market Watch.

upload_2018-8-31_21-21-9.png

10. Where did u get better earnings from?
    It is always bad!

#10     Sep 1, 2018