Physics Vs Prediction in Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rajesheck, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Carry on.....you are miles ahead of me

#41     Jan 31, 2018
  2. #42     Jan 31, 2018
    Simples likes this.
  3. MACD

MACD

No response?

#43     Jan 31, 2018
  4. Sprout

Sprout

In physics, momentum is mass x velocity.
    How are you defining and measuring momentum?

Are you saying that trial and error is the only type of problem solving that is being applied to the markets?

You use analogies of ‘live’ and ‘dead’. Are you expressing a belief that the market has characteristics of being organic and ‘alive’?

At the risk of being tangential to the points you are making, there are multiple patterns that shows up everyday as the sun rises, the two most easily discerned are - the catenary and ohlc.

What is your definition of pattern?

From my experience, momentum itself exhibits a pattern. It's symmetrical both long and short.

As for stop loss being a fixed loss, that's true. It also could be considered as a defined max loss prior to entry similar to options. Without a defined loss, while it's possible to wait out a trade to get to positive in any position, that is more a function of account size and conviction than trading skill.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the points you are making.

#44     Jan 31, 2018
  5. %%
    Good Wave; turtles move funny until they get in a wave, or Wave.Its not random or a prediction, but a good weather forecaster/seasonals can help. Some may call it weather prediction....... but no weather man or woman does that:D:cool: LOL

#45     Jan 31, 2018
  6. ET180

ET180

I think efficient market theory holds in the long-term. Long-term assets tend to go to their proper value, but short and sometimes medium term fear, greed, and the effects of leverage are much more dominant factors than the fair and unbiased evaluation of value based on all known information. If traders could not trade on margin, I suspect that markets would be more efficient in the short term and also more predictable. However, the cost of capital would also be higher in that case as well. Leverage is the sacrifice of stability with the goal of obtaining higher growth by lowering the cost of capital. Just my speculation...

#46     Jan 31, 2018
  7. Maybe so, but there's just no winning with some dancing girls.

#47     Jan 31, 2018
  8. Overnight

Overnight

This seems to all be classical Newtonian thinking. Why not get with the times and add time to your equation? Get to at least the Einstein levels of physics, man.

Time must fit into your equations, else all you proffer is bunk.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    #48     Jan 31, 2018
  9. My understanding is EMH is a perfectionist theory where it assumes the market price is precise leaving no scope for investors to gain edge. Critics says that people like Warren Buffet had already proved this theory is wrong by beating the market or in other words demonstrated that the price is undervalued.

There is always tug off war between perfectionists and creative people. Time and again creativity and innovation wins.

My point is both stock trading and stock investments are businesses and any good business blends technicalities and creativity in a balanced way.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    #49     Jan 31, 2018
    Simples likes this.
  10. Einstein said time is relative and not fixed. I said stoploss need not be fixed loss. :)

#50     Jan 31, 2018