Physical Gold - Paper Gold has MASSIVE Divergence

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by AMT4SWA, Oct 8, 2008.

1. I have uncirc. silver eagle coins but prefer to keep them.

and yea, a 100% arb. over spot is very lucrative...

the busted silver price on the Comex smacks of hedge funds having to puke up their long positions due to redemptions etc.

I've never seen the physical market and the futures at such extreme disconnect since the Hunt Bros. hayride in '80

#41     Oct 12, 2008
  2. ipatent

ipatent

If the plan is to use coordinated seignorage among the major currencies to manage the bailout, they are going to need to keep the price of PMs down.

I see a government gold grab coming.

What other commodities are compact enough to stockpile, anyway.

#43     Oct 12, 2008
  3. Brass and Lead......LOL! :D

#44     Oct 12, 2008
  4. Does anyone know if the ZG and ZI are trading tonight? I'm guessing not because it is now controlled by NYSE and not CBOT. I guess the NYSE folks are too lazy and need Columbus Day off??? I notice GC is open but no ZG. Wake up NYSE! You are trading commodity futures now... learn to work outside of banker's hours and holidays!

edit: ok looks like the pre-market numbers are coming up now..their website says it is supposed to open at 6:25pm Sun-Fri. I guess they are late tonight.

#45     Oct 12, 2008
  5. #46     Oct 13, 2008
  6. The article basically says there are idiots willing to pay $150-$200 more than the spot price. People panic. A few more days of +7% gains and they're going to realize they screwed up.

Meanwhile, the gold futures are just that. Futures. December. We think the price of gold in december will be $830 and not $1000 like many dealers are charging.

I'm short gold from 898. I don't wish it to go down. I'm long GDX and a few other gold stocks (down big time on those trades). I'm just trading what I see and I see gold going down as people move money into stocks, funds, and index futures.

#47     Oct 13, 2008
  7. promagma

promagma

Gold is going down, initial target $615

Like someone else pointed out, the market for the small stuff vs. the industrial consumption is apples and oranges. When the stock market is crashing, it is the absolute worst time to buy the small stuff. You will also pay a lot more in a volatile market, and if you want immediate delivery. Someone said a dealer was asking $1100 oz ..... I contacted the dealer and found out his offer to buy physical was $10 over spot. So you can be sure they are making money in times like these.

#48     Oct 13, 2008
  8. Try and buy 10 oz before you feel so confident shorting it.

Supply and demand will eventually win out, especially with the central Banks no longer willing to sell or lease, and refusing to roll the existing leases.

#49     Oct 13, 2008
  9. fyi I asked for a gold price in Guelph on Friday and was quoted $C1025 an once. They showed me the one ounce bar and said they had many others in stock.

They also said that they were out of silver because of a refining problem but would have in in shortly.

#50     Oct 13, 2008