Physical Gold - Paper Gold has MASSIVE Divergence

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by AMT4SWA, Oct 8, 2008.

1. clacy

clacy

So do you have lots of guns and plenty of ammunition, as well as other "survial" equipment?

My theory has been that if physical gold becomes necessary, there will be plenty of "bad men" that will want your gold.

You'll probably need to defend your gold.

#31     Oct 8, 2008
  2. Started buying gold 4 days ago

#32     Oct 8, 2008
  3. Yes, I noted that also recently. Hoarding is obvious. Probably the reason that there was a hard stop on minting of gold/silver bullion coins by the US mint - people are removing cash from the banking system to purchase bullion. Probably not helpful to the overall economy, but self interest / self preservation does come into play.

#33     Oct 8, 2008
  4. As a former Ranger trained US Army AH-1S Cobra Aviator, I know how to properly defend myself as needed.....but you are missing the main point I was trying to get at. I am talking about OVER LEVERAGED "paper" gold position defaults from the broker/institutions. Seen any over leveraged positions in any of the markets lately??? :D

#34     Oct 8, 2008
  5. kubilai

kubilai

What would you guys do if the government decides to ban gold possession like last time? I'm not being sarcastic, just looking for a solution.

#35     Oct 9, 2008
  6. sprstpd

sprstpd

Unless you want to buy physical gold which is a pain, you should buy some gold miners. I would think if they outlaw gold, the miners will explode upwards.

#36     Oct 9, 2008
  7. Mecro

Mecro

I prefer silver right now, Gold too expensive. Mark ups for physical keep increasing too.

There are other real commodities you can start stockpiling.

#37     Oct 10, 2008
  8. spot for silver is $10 give or take yet silver eagles on ebay are going for $20

shops around here are out and there is a 15 week wait time for delivery

#38     Oct 11, 2008
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

Is there anyway to arbitrage this spread? I mean, if you already have coins, why not sell them at the higher prices and buy the paper ETFs at lower prices?

#39     Oct 11, 2008
  10. kxvid

kxvid

Silver is much more expensive if you factor in premiums.

#40     Oct 11, 2008