photon trader?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Arb Under Par, Aug 24, 2004.

1. #21     Aug 3, 2006
  2. Thanks, thats what I get for working late on the computer:p

#22     Aug 3, 2006
  3. Hi Jayvs5150,

The ad-free version is scheduled to be available in eSignal 8.1, due out later this year.
    We're working hard to release a new build of VisionTrader each week, which includes new features and expands the number of brokers and trading service providers (in addition to IB & pats, optionsXpress will be added this week, and Forex broker Oanda next week).
    5Pillers makes a good point - sooner or later, you'll need to replace your existing troops :), as well as find those to deploy under different conditions (forex, equities, options).
    We'd very much appreciate your feedback on the existing platform, how it could be improved, what instrument's you currently trade, and plan to be trading in the future.

Thanks again,

Brent
    VisionTrader Registration & Download
    Feedback
    Support

#23     Aug 3, 2006
  4. I have no experience with X but I compared Ninja and ButtonTrader side by side. And I must say that Ninja is doing a better job, ie. in the marketing department, because I find BT lots and lots better and yet it has much less exposure than it deserves.
    I couldn't find a thing I could do with Ninja that wasn't available in BT too, but better in the latter. There were however several important things available in BT that I missed when going back to Ninja.
    The only thing that Ninja has is a barcharts of sorts, but is so clumsy that you'll need a good charter anyway, so it's moot. The ability to move triggers around on the map seems great but in practice is far less useful.
    Also BT feels much more solid, I think because it's built on C++ instead of Basic. I had several strange functionalities and bugs and 2 crashes. None of these with BT, during hardcore testing.

O yeah, one thing, it only works with IB. If you need one other reason to switch to IB it could be this. It's that good.

I'd recommend anyone contemplating Ninja to at least try BT once http://www.buttontrader.com/. It is free to test recordings and to use it as a simulator on your real account's live datastream. Very useful, even when not bought.

Maybe the dots in 5P's list should be filled in.

Ursa..

#24     Aug 3, 2006
  5. Nope....BT is a front end for TWS right (IB accounts)....no thanks. :)

#25     Aug 3, 2006
  6. I like the look of BT, but don't like IB, but that's another point. BT to TT data I would give that a go. BT has VP no? As I recall it shows VP bars.

#26     Aug 3, 2006
  7. Colaeus

Colaeus

I have been using Photon for 5 years. Nothing else comes close. However, I would recommend contacting FuturePathTrading, instead of Man if you are interested in this platform, since FuturePath is the one who owns it and can offer lower rates then Man. It is a shame that FuturePath does not do any advertising, because in my humble opinion, these guys are the best in the business in terms of their technology. (In the interest of full disclosure, FuturePath is my broker!) If you wait a few weeks, I know they are working on a version with charts as well, where you can place orders off the charts with functionality such as trailing stops, etc. Not sure when the release date is, though.
    Me - I stick to basics - one click in, one click out!

#27     Mar 11, 2007
  8. How am I disadvantaged in any way by trading Emini's on ThinkorSwim ??

Is there anything thats faster than ThinkorSwim??

(I'm on a cable modem thats faster than our local DSL!)

#28     Mar 11, 2007
  9. Colaeus

Colaeus

If you are a small scalper with not too high of an activity level, most all of the execution platforms can do a reasonable job these days - it is more what you feel most comfortable with. However, Photon is THE fastest execution platform out there available to an individual. For those who are interested in automated black box systems, their new API (in dotnet), with its superlative hyper threading, is also unbeatable, which is why some of the major top players doing autmated blackbox stuff use these guys. (FuturePathTrading)

#29     Mar 21, 2007
  10. subq

subq

thinkorswim's platform is horid if you are looking for speed & execution (ease of use)...not to mention the margins

though I must say....you will be hard pressed to find a broker with such great service...I use them for options trading

I use ninja/zenfire for futures trading (looking at adding secondary ninja/TT or even x_trader), another broker for forex trading and yet another broker for basic stock trading.

#30     Jun 5, 2007