Philosophy

Discussion in 'Trading' started by scalp100, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Use live trading to constantly antagonize your own methods in order to improve yourself and your trading results!

You have everything you need to get started on your journey. The only thing you need to study is yourself, your beliefs. Always question your beliefs. The markets are a mirror. The only battle is the one between your ears.

#11     Aug 23, 2010
  2. Yes. "The more you read and learn, the less your adversary will know." ~ Sun Tzu

#12     Aug 23, 2010
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

The more I get into trading, the more I realize I know little about it( especially in fields like fundamentals and programming ), the less I have time to explore other quite unrelated subjects like this one. There is so much to learn about trading in itself that you shouldn't waste your time with philosophy.

#13     Aug 23, 2010
  4. Yes. Trading and investing are about trying to know as much as possible about reality, about predicting human behaviour and future events. That is exactly what epistemology, induction, logical inference, philosophy of science, and other core concepts focus on. Then there is self-knowledge and mental discipline, knowing your own strong and weak points, which requires self-examination and emotional control, areas which philosophy has covered in depth.

Philosophy is one of the few subjects that should improve your trading P&L. Unfortunately the way it is taught in universities is very poor, mainly because the tutors are mostly academics with little real-world experience. So, you need to find a good tutor, or do a lot of reading and investigation yourself.

#14     Aug 23, 2010
  5. Studying philosophy can help you improve, period. 'Nuff said.

#15     Aug 23, 2010
  6. Yes this makes sense, but it seems the market can only tell me if I'm right or wrong and to what magnitude. It doesn't go in to detail about what the problems is so maybe philosophy could give a framework to discover this?

scalp

#16     Aug 23, 2010
  7. what do you mean by profitable perspectives? and how do you go about developing it?

#17     Aug 23, 2010
  8. never heard of him i will look into it. thank you

#18     Aug 23, 2010
  9. #19     Aug 23, 2010
  10. Yes. Understanding epistemology, logic, inference, etc is very helpful. For example, you often see people make claims about the market - are their axioms acceptable? Do their conclusions necessarily derive from their axioms? If not, then they are full of shit, and their idle metaphysics should be committed to the flames. If so, then they might be on to something. It's amazing how often market participants use unsound reasoning, and how often they assume the truth of questionable axioms. Fat edge lies in understanding their errors, and working out how it diverges from the likely truth.

#20     Apr 24, 2011