Philippines traders

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Hombre, Jun 4, 2010.

1. #11     Jul 7, 2010
  2. palawan

palawan

You're welcome. No matter what anyone tells you, stay away from the Mindanao region. It's just not worth it. They have some of the most beautiful islands there, but I've never been there and maybe never will.

Good trading.

#12     Jul 7, 2010
  3. palawan

palawan

Just an update. I know I said we hardly lose electricity, but I guess I have to take it back. It's typhoon season here, and last night, we have a storm (signal number 2) that knocked the power.

My extended battery on the laptop last 7 hours, so I just fired up my Smartbro prepaid USB internet and everything was ok. It costs me more for the internet (in addition to my monthly internet) but it's the cost of being online.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/266811/luzon-blackouts-last-three-days

The problem is that this may last 3 days. We hope it doesn't last that long... I'm at Mall of Asia Krispy Kreme and it's packed because people are charging their laptops and cell phones. Internet is ok here, too. Fast.

They have a generator, but even here, they had about 2 hours of power outage getting the generator going.

#13     Jul 14, 2010
  4. whats the prop shop trading situation now?

anything changed since a few years ago?

also anyone have info on philippines derivative market situation?

as i remember they do have one?

any feeback appreciated.

#14     Jul 14, 2010
  5. palawan

palawan

I'm sorry but I don't have any info on your questions (at this time). If I come across any of the info, I will post an update here.

I trade my own account. Profit target can be as little as $100/day because cost of living is low here. I need to remind myself this so that I don't take un-necessary risks trying to make more (or forcing trades when none exists).

#15     Jul 14, 2010
  6. Hi Palawan, did they get the power back on yet? Sounds like a nightmare when trying to trade, is the 3G still working?

#16     Jul 15, 2010
  7. palawan

palawan

Trend7rader,

Yes, the power came back to most of the affected areas about 22 hours ago, but there is a tradeoff that there will be rolling blackouts of about 3 hours in order to put permanent fixes.

We lost power 10 hours ago for about 3 hours and then it came back. All in all, it's not so bad for trading as I have a backup the 3G prepaid USB Smartbro as backup, and it works fine even without electricity.

#17     Jul 15, 2010
  8. ccooper

ccooper

I spent a week there a few years ago, and felt safe, and I am obviously not a local. That was in General Santos and Davao City, which are probably the safer parts of the island. Internet connections were adequate. But make your own decisions.

#18     Jul 15, 2010
  9. palawan

palawan

True story: many years ago, we were planning to go to Pearl Farm resort in Davao which is a very beautiful resort. Before our scheduled vacation, there was an incident at the Pearl Farm resort that left 2 resort workers dead involving the Abu Sayaff(?) Muslim rebels. This changed our plan to go there...

To be fair; the Abu Sayaff group was very active during those years and had resources such as high-speed boats and their kidnappings could reach outside Mindanao such as a resort island in Palawan region (Palawan region has 1700 islands, but some disappear during high tide) and they also went outside of the country to a Malaysian resort.

They no longer have those resources and have been severely weakened by intense encounters with the government troops with help from the US and many of their leaders have been killed. The incidents the past 5 years have been limited to their stronghold region in Mindanao (not Davao or General Santos).

I just don't think it's worth it to go to Mindanao region when there are so many beautiful places that are not in that region. I recommend Plantation Bay resort (Cebu), Boracay island, and Panglao Island (Bohol) which are not accessible by the Muslim rebels.

#19     Jul 16, 2010
  10. byteme

byteme

Was on Panglao a couple of weeks ago. Couple of places had WiFi on/near the beach (Lona). There wasn't an issue with speed.

#20     Jul 16, 2010