PhD in the area of trading strategies

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by White Knight, Oct 24, 2012.

1. you sure about that?

ever tried to heat your house with a wood stove?

silver beech is something which should only be mentioned in a tone of respect

I might do my Phd on, why is silver beech so much better than white oak?

or you could do it on the life expectancy of wti vs brent traders

as opposed to those who routinely trade the crack spread

I've often wondered, "Do NG calendar traders live longer?"

as for me, I like those spreads, I'll take them any day over getting outright

get over here in forex and start spreading that US Dollar and you'll really have some fun.

It is going down

Right?

#31     Oct 25, 2012
  2. baro-san

baro-san

You could say H.Jacked, but some consider his posts full of valuable information. The nature of the Internet is such that anonymous people express contradictory ideas.

#32     Oct 25, 2012
  3. it's really just like the market. If it gets boring enough, nobody will reply and you will be able to gleen some informatiion.

#33     Oct 25, 2012
  4. they make it very easy, you can look at the bottom of the page, if it's got more than seven pages, it's just the usual crap

#34     Oct 25, 2012
  5. I offered the OP plenty of on-topic feedback.

Where'd he go?

#35     Oct 25, 2012
  6. bone

bone

I like your posts. Don't go changin'

OP got the JH treatment - which scared the shit of him to be sure. It's like reading assembly instructions printed in Mandarin and without diagrams.

#36     Oct 25, 2012
  7. asap

asap

well i am not surprised mr hershey dropped by, to talk about his schizophrenic understanding of the trading world.

the topic OP has raised is meritless and completely off base in the context of a formal doctoral program at any serious university...

a phd in trading? gimme a break.

you could aim at working on a doctoral thesis on neuro sciences, behavioral economics or astrophysics and then, use your analytical skills and experience to derive new methodologies to trade, but a phd in trading by itself is like a phd in coin flipping... outright ridiculous.

i am sure jack hershey has couple of those under his belt.

#37     Oct 25, 2012
  8. bone

bone

There used to be a trader in the evening Bond Pit who I learned over the years had dropped out of high school and he supposedly had this big scar running along his ribcage from a knife fight. Had a Full membership with the acronym TMI.

Absolutely the best scalper and market maker I have ever seen in my life. Now, granted, the evenings were very slow... but he was truly exceptional. My guess was that he might have had a hard time going to days when the new floor was built - the tiering and the headsets made it more efficient.

Harris Brumfield has a bachelors degree from Mississippi State and he was also a real talent both scalping and spread trading - on the floor and on the screen. He bought TT in the late 90's.

PhD is no sure thing by any stretch of the imagination in terms of trading success.

I have taken on a few clients who made more money by their late '20s than I have made in a life time; of course, they were very successful before they hired me. Not a PhD in the lot.

I am sure that there are some wildly successful PhD's who are traders. Certainly. They are certainly much more sophisticated and automated than I will ever be, and they are employed by the biggest and the best. But no predictor of future success taking on risk and finding edge IMHO. More to it than that.

#38     Oct 25, 2012
  9. the thing about that silver birch, it just sprouts here and there out in the woods with no rhyme or reason. So you can cut one down at any time with no harm to the envirornment (as far as I know.)

put three of those classic logs in your wood stove and peek in there a few hours later and it will look like a Pittsburg Steel blast furnace.

If you have a low opinion of yourself like I do, you will think, "All this? Just for me?"

#39     Oct 25, 2012
  10. baro-san

baro-san

Today:
    01 L
    03 S
    07 L
    10 S
    17 L
    25 S
    32 L
    50 S