PhD in Economics

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by WallStGolfer31, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Yannis

Yannis

Can we get back to this young person's original and well articulated question? Do you guys have anything useful to say about that? Or, else...:)

#81     Oct 1, 2006
  2. Humpy

Humpy

Perhaps you should seriously consider working for GM. It has hundreds of Phds working flat out. The scuttlebut says they are working on a new very hush-hush product. It is rumoured to be a car with only one wheel LOL

#82     Oct 2, 2006
  3. Yannis

Yannis

Yes, I heard about this project - it's a square wheel for added stability and more efficient storage.

:) :) :)

#83     Oct 2, 2006
  4. kind of pointless to get phd unless you seriously plan on teaching....the time spent in school can spent working your azz off and networking

#84     Oct 2, 2006
  5. WallStGolfer31

WallStGolfer31 Guest

You can't be an economist unless you get you're PhD.

#85     Oct 2, 2006
  6. economists are a dime a dozen now

#86     Oct 2, 2006
  7. Nattdog

Nattdog

Maveric says >

"You need contacts, you need connections. It's no different in this business then any other business. A lot of guys on here just don't understand that"

Mav, The key is as u say.. its like any other business... sales is a big part of it. how many brokerage firms, how many SALES calls, are the wanna be managers doing? one must see the big picture. those with "trader tunnel vision".. unless they can bootstrap themself up to large equity, are stuck small time... forever.

Great personal example... I met a young fund manager, who took fund from less than one mill to 35+ million in two years... i met him when he was doing a SALES call!! he got sales brokers behind his program, developed contacts, created relationships... he has a platform that is working, because he is a businessman, not "just" a trader. he rided an assistant to do his trading early on, he focused on the building the business. didn't even do his own programming! I see no reason, given even decent results in the program, he cant get several hundred in 3,4,5 (or less??) years.

A good salesman with almost zero knowledge of trading can raise millions in equity!! finding and developing relationships like this, it makes a bid diff.. Tunnel vision keeps many out of the loop.

#87     Oct 2, 2006