Petraeus VP?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wildchild, Aug 7, 2012.

1. wildchild

wildchild

I think the one benefit is that people are tired of career politicians screwing everything up and only looking out for themselves. Petraeus may have considerable appeal because he is a guy that they can say is above the fray and actually have it be believable.

#11     Aug 7, 2012
  2. Totally agree.

Two sets of rules.

#12     Aug 7, 2012
  3. wjk

wjk

True, but his reaction to it would be a lesson for all Republicans.

#13     Aug 7, 2012
  4. wildchild

wildchild

WOULD DAVID PETRAEUS BE GOOD VP FOR ROMNEY?

YES 43.14% (104,965 votes)

NO 38.71% (94,177 votes)

NOT SURE 18.15% (44,148 votes)

#14     Aug 7, 2012
  5. BSAM

BSAM

Sometimes a wolf is in a sheep's clothing.

Sometimes a sheep is in a wolf's clothing.

Caveat emptor.

#15     Aug 7, 2012
  6. BSAM

BSAM

(SPEEE---Mittens is a white guy...Patraeus is a white guy...IT AIN'T GONNA WORK.)

#16     Aug 7, 2012
  7. wildchild

wildchild

Choosing a minority for the sake of choosing a minority is bad idea. The affirmative action President we have now is a disaster.

#17     Aug 7, 2012
  8. Look, if he was VP and had to step in as President, I agree that we could do a lot worse. Obama for example. But that's a pretty low bar.

My objections would be that one, he's never run for elective office. I don't think President or even VP are starter jobs in politics. A senior general and head of the CIA has to be politically savvy, but that's a lot different from running for office.

Two, I don't know his position on any issue, which is a pretty big problem. Some of them could be problematic. Gays in the military? Abortion? Tax policy? Immigration? It was a problem with Condi, it was a problem with Colin Powell and it could be a problem with this guy. After all, he is currently serving in the most leftwing administration in history. The fact he could stomach that raises a big red flag for me.

Finally, I generally don't like the idea of retired generals being president. It undermines the concept of civilian control of the military. We had one retired general, Ike, in the modern era, and I would say he was mediocre at best. He did nothing to dismantle FDR's welfare state and he appointed the worst Supreme Court justice in history, Earl Warren.

From a political perspective, I fail to see what Petraeus would add over any one of a half dozen other capable candidates, except maybe name recognition. He would bring the whole issue of Iraq and afghanistan into play, which doesn't help Romney in my mind. I would expect him to be in favor of staying in afghanistan and "finishing the job", which is a total disaster of an idea in my mind.

I can't see him helping Romney with women voters either. Soccer moms see the military now as a place where women are routinely assaulted and then it is covered up by higher up officers.

I know a lot of neo-cons are panting over his name, but count me out.

#18     Aug 7, 2012
  9. BSAM

BSAM

You don't choose a minority for the sake of choosing a minority.

#19     Aug 7, 2012
  10. wjk

wjk

+1

He would not need to stay in Afghanistan for it to be a disaster in my opinion. He and Rice are both connected to Bush and two unpopular wars, and that's how the left will attack. They will tie them to Bush. The attacks will be ruthless and nonstop on war issues the majority of the populace will probably agree with.

#20     Aug 7, 2012