Peter Turchin And The Coming Crisis Of The 2020s

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Banjo

Banjo

2. Overnight

Overnight

"...Turchin, who keeps a blog about civilization cycles, recently presented his latest findings to the Centre for Complex Systems Studies in Utrecht, Holland, under the heading “A History of the Near Future: What History Tells Us About the Near Future.” [PDF]His conclusions are startling. Based on his detailed number-crunching about events, civilizations that are in decline—as is the USA is—always enter periods of extreme polarization. For the USA, the 2020s will be that period. It will be marred by years of political violence, and intense conflict. Worryingly, Turchin claims that the U.S. more polarized that it was on the eve of the Civil War [ See his Ages of Discord: A Structural-Demographic Analysis of American History]...

...Turchin, however, is slightly more optimistic for this coming decade. He predicts that the West will undergo something more similar to the collapse of the Soviet Union, and thus avoid pandemics and a mass die-off..."

Speechless I am on this "article".

Remember, this folk is writing through his own rose-colored lenses of being a Russian.

"... One of these: Peter Turchin, a Russian who is professor of Evolutionary Biology at the University of Connecticut..."

Does this sound familiar?

"...This, in essence, is “too many workers.” Turchin noted that when “the supply of labor exceeds its demand, the price of labor decreases, depressing the living standards for the majority of population, thus leading to popular immiseration [impoverishment] and growing mass-mobilization potential, but creating favorable economic conditions for the elites.”

I don't think this guy remembers why the Soviet Union fell. It because of exactly what he is proferring. Marxism. That does not exist in the USA. We're not going to fail because we have too many workers, man!

Peristoika! Solidnarsjc!

Go go Poland! Tear down that wall!

3. maxinger

maxinger

why must we waste our time reading such articles?
    there is no explanation & justification as to why we should read such articles.

the OP didn't say a single word other then the title

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  4. Overnight

Overnight

I am refuting the article.

maxinger likes this.
  5. maxinger

maxinger

you have great patience. I only managed to read 1 line only.

Overnight likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Pretty much the only thing I have left is my patience, and my patients. (They are turkey patients. Experiments ensuing.)

No! NO, haha, just kidding!

7. jys78

jys78

Agree, these zero effort garbage posts just clutter up the board. If you're going to post articles at least offer some context or commentary.