Peter Thiel Gives 20 Teenagers $100K Each to Skip College

Discussion in 'Economics' started by pikachu9, May 10, 2013.

1. Samsara

Samsara

How would this idea be expanded, and by whom?

And what would angel investors gain by funding high school grads (pre Tier 1 enrollment) rather than Tier 1 college grads, particularly if they wouldn't bear the cost of their education anyway?

#11     May 10, 2013
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

You often give me the impression you work for a college or university.

#12     May 10, 2013
  3. Similar folks who fund PTJ's Robin Hood, libertarian think tanks, any number of ways if the experiment shows promise. There is a huge anti college sentiment brewing in the underground. Private investors will follow ---

surf

#13     May 10, 2013
  4. Samsara

Samsara

In failing to answer my question, then bringing up libertarian think tanks and anti-college sentiment, you actually reaffirmed my point: it's an ideological demonstration.

This is different from seeking the best returns on vc, the way Union Sq. Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, angel investors scouting Stanford start-ups, Y-Combinator, etc., operate.

#14     May 10, 2013
  5. achilles28

achilles28

Many self made billionaires were college dropouts. That's no coincidence. Surf is right.

#15     May 10, 2013
  6. Samsara

Samsara

That's wonderful. Now tell me, which do you think is higher: self-made billionaire drop-outs as a percentage of all billionaires, or self-made billionaires who graduated college as a percentage of all billionaires.

If you'd like, index both to the number of drop-outs and grads over the US population.

The NYT ran a decent article on the outcomes of start-ups created by HS and college drop outs about 3 weeks ago. I'd recommend giving it a quick read, if you can find it. Those who drop out don't stand a good chance in this society.

#16     May 10, 2013
  7. piezoe

piezoe

I don't, but I have in the past. I was fortunate enough to have two parents who appreciated the value of a good education, and they imparted respect for education to their children. Life is what you make it. Having a great education doesn't guarantee happiness and success, but it certainly can improve one's chances.

#17     May 10, 2013
  8. I don't believe I reaffirmed your point-- this is a niche investment. It's not for everyone just like college isn't for everyone-- particullarly the creatively gifted and visionary types. By the same logic college is perfect for the conformist MBA or hard science types for now.

#18     May 10, 2013
  9. My parents are very pro education also, however I would have been further ahead with the tuition money rather than undergrad and partial law --- the Ed got me an entry level insurance co job for 4 years untill my biz kicked in. Don't get me wrong, I loved college but it did little for my future but slow it down.

BUT

My wife is a PhD finance quant and earns phat $ for entry level--- impossible without the degree. So, sure for some people education is crucial --- but the "everyone" is for college is dead wrong-//

#19     May 10, 2013
  10. Why can people just do both? Get education, and while at school, create something everyone use......like Facebook? People should not have to pick either one, unless they don't have a choice.

I know, some say that education is not for them. It is not the way they learn. I think that is fine, but they couldn't just avoid school, and just be lazy. They have to actually do something and work on a product, and learn twice as hard to justify dropping out of school.

Seriously, without education is like pushing yourself in either one extreme of the spectrum.. You either make it and become a wealthy billionaire who hired multiple Harvard MBA or you become a low level employees who has low self esteem, argumentative (since you will argue to win, and not to gain new knowledge), and struggle through life. It wouldn't be fun when all your friends got their BMW and waterfront condo and having parties and giving each other Rolex watches for birthday presents, while you are still living with your parents.

You only live once. Manage(not avoid) the risk associated with it.

PA

#20     May 10, 2013