PETER SCHIFF On Ron Paul

Discussion in 'Politics' started by arbprofit2, Nov 7, 2007.

1. gnome

gnome

That's a distorted view. They WANTED us there for protection, economic stimulus and foreign aid concessions. I doubt we had to force American establishments into any country.... except maybe Japan and Okinawa after WWII.

#11     Nov 7, 2007
  2. Instead of attacking me, why don't you answer the question? If you don't know what his anti-terrorist policy is - then just say so. What's naive is to assume that if we withdraw from the world and "bring the troops home" that somehow everyone will lock arms together and sing "we are the world" or (fill in the blank). When you've been taught from birth that the US and Israel (the "evil" infidels) are your mortal enemies, do you really believe that the world and our country will be safer as a result of such actions? I'm trying to learn what his policy is - I'm not a part of the "Ron Paul Cult" or anything like that - just beginning to learn about the guy.

#12     Nov 7, 2007
  3. Corey

Corey

I have a pretty comprehensive plan for terrorism.

It is called common sense.

You have a greater chance of dieing in a car accident than you do from a terrorist attack.

Unless you plan on starting a 'war on cars', I think we should probably get over this 'war on terror', move on, and do something proactive -- like providing food and medical relief to third world countries. Maybe then they will stop teaching their children to hate us.

#13     Nov 7, 2007
  4. Why not going to his webpage www.ronpaul2008.com or search for his articles to learn what his anti-terrorism policies are?
    He thinks that the current diagnostic on the causes of terrorism is misleading biased and without objective basis.
    He mentions experts and CIA studies as support for his diagnostic, and he wants to attack the causes of terrorism, without attacking other countries, attacking US citizens' civil liberties or attacking the US financial health which are all counterproductive.

#14     Nov 7, 2007
  5. The government is trying to control you with fear. Fear that we need to control your lives for the sake of protecting you against terrorism.

Like I said before oil prices have gone up 400% and the dollar has dropped 40% since the war started. What are we really doing?

You get all these evangelicals saying we need to fight islamofascism. It's becoming a holy war. We have been meddling in the affairs of the middle east and they don't want us there. Just as we don't want other countries on our land telling us what to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_CIA_assistance_to_Osama_bin_Laden

We gave money to bin laden to fight the Soviets, then we give money to saddam to fight iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_CIA_assistance_to_Osama_bin_Laden

We overthrow democratically elected governments there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ajax

Do you see why they hate us?
    Because we are rich and free, HA.
    We don't leave them alone.

#15     Nov 7, 2007
  6. Mamet

Mamet

I will explain to you (as far as I understand it) Ron Paul's anti-terrorist policy.

The general idea is - Secure the borders, stop antagonizing every other country in the world.

1. Secure the borders. He says it's ridiculous to be spending billions of dollars fighting wars when anyone can just walk into the country. Additionally our immigration system is such a mess that we have no idea who is in our country at any time. Most of the September 11 hijackers were in the US on expired visas.

2. Stop antagonizing other countries, particularly those in the middle-east. Unfortunately the war on terror is not so simple as "kill them all". This is the strategy so far and it's simply not working. I think Ron Paul's general idea is a long term solution. When they stop hating America, interest in terrorism against the west will die down. This combined with a higher level of security in the US is as much as we can do to prevent a 9/11 repeat. Israel might be screwed, but whether or not that's deserved is another matter. Most muslims have no interest in a jihad on the America and the west, it's a small minority. When the cause for their hate ceases to exist, it's safe to assume their reactions (for the most part) will too.

Disclaimer - this is just what I've gathered from reading various Ron Paul articles. I think everything is correct, but I'm capable of mistakes. If you think the above makes sense then you should read some of the articles on his website, which explain everything in more detail.

#16     Nov 7, 2007
  7. #17     Nov 7, 2007
  8. maxpi

maxpi

We pull all our troops back and wait for the war against Israel to begin and we sell arms to everybody... that's Ron Paul's idea of anti terrorism... I'm for it because Israel could kick some ass then and not look bad on the world stage..

and no more "peace process", that sham is only about balancing the power in the Middle East region... we could sign some defense alliance thing with Israel promising to side in with them in case of war and blow up Iran's missles as they leave the silos... not a bad scenario for a war, use the other guy's weapons against him with no loss of your own troops.... maybe the war technology scenario has changed so much that troops are sort of not needed to keep things balanced..

#18     Nov 7, 2007
  9. #19     Nov 7, 2007
  10. linj2fly

linj2fly

I have done alot of looking into Ron Paul in the last few months. This is what i have learned (as the sound bites from debates don't give it all)

First and foremost RP DOES acknowledge terrorism is real. In fact, he predicted it.

1. Ron Paul soon after 9/11 introduced legislation for letters of Marques and Reprisal (in the constitution) for the apprehension of Bin Laden. Obviously this didn't go anywhere. He did support the War in Afghanistan for the purpose of apprehending bin laden. IMHO, the letters would've have been the most effecient way to apprehend the head terrorist.

2. Pay attention to the 9/11 commission report regarding Al queda (sp) own reasoning for the attack. It DOES state our presence on the arabian peninsula (their holy land) as one of at least 4 reasons and demands (one of which was that we convert to islam....)

3. As a result of #2: a non-intervention policy comes into play. Bring our troops home from all over the world.

4. Defend the homeland, as OUR LAND is what is most at threat. Strengthen our defense here at home. Secure the borders with our military. Fix intelligence gathering. Prevent terrorism. Prepare our defenses for attack.

My own opinion: Better to Prepare and prevent, than to Repair and repent.

#20     Nov 7, 2007