Peter Schiff: Greece better of than the US

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Debaser82, Apr 27, 2010.

1. It's probably never been different. And people in the west mostly didnt care.

Untill the rifle is pointed at them. And then they want to talk moral.

#11     Apr 27, 2010
  2. subban

subban

No, but we do it in a more subtle way. CIA manipulations of thrid world governments where we put in our own puppet dicators so that they give US favorable trade agreements and make sure US businesses in that third world country have no local business competition.

#12     Apr 27, 2010
  3. subban

subban

I meant my post above regarding this quote.

#13     Apr 27, 2010
  4. Such words are too dangerous. Careful with what you say. Exercising the first amendment is not without cost.

#14     Apr 27, 2010
  5. achilles28

achilles28

I agree. All this crap happened on the Boomers watch (present company not included). Most of them stood down, took a laissez faire attitude towards Government, ran up the credit card, and plead blissful ignorance when it came time to exercise their fiduciary-civil duty and impose restraint. I'm 32. Only until about 2 years ago did I really get a hold on the situation. We're so late in the ballgame, nothing short of a miracle can pull this one out. The time to flush the system was 1987. 1987.! Can you believe it?? Now, we're just blowing in the wind. There's nothing that can stop this now. Everything is just half measures and desperation to buy time. Looking back, Paulson was right. If they didn't prop the system, it would have been a Great Depression. But it would have been much better than, than now with 50% more debt load and 10 years of wages ploughed into a market and real estate that won't make it through.

#15     Apr 27, 2010
  6. Correctamundo! However "allowing THINGS to adjust to fair value and reset" is politically unthinkable.

Recessions/Depression are CLEANSING... offsetting the evils of inflationary policies.... AND... declines, even depressions, are healthful and beneficial.... their pain is temporary.

Inflation = "Destroyer of Worlds"...

#16     Apr 27, 2010
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Yep. I agree 10,000%. Inflation destroys wealth and capital. Depressions flush out the over-leveraged and foolish. Imo, it's doable. Tax revenues would dry up and entitlements go out the window. But that's gonna happen in either scenario. Better now than later. Even debt service during a severe contraction is alright = deflationary = low rollover cost. I think if Washington devoted 1.5 Trillion pa for unemployment benefits and SS, then cut everything else by 70%, it's workable without civil revolt. The 30% unemployed still get fed, we take our beatings, then recover. The elderly and sick would feel it. Not sure it's possible to keep both the Country fed AND provide 100% medicare coverage.

#17     Apr 27, 2010
  8. subban

subban

What is that supposed to mean. Its the truth and reality. I really can't complain, US interests are being secured all throughout the world. Every country does it. Except when we do it since we are the 800 pound gorilla our actions have more ramifications on a global level.

Everyone now is soo anti Obama and Obama did this and that with all the tea parties. What most people don't realize is that no matter who the politician it is a rigged game. The politician owes his allegiance to big business men. They are the ones who pull the strings. This Obama is such a farce. He has put in 30000 more troops in Afgahnistan. He closes gitmo but he keeps CIA torture rendition plane flights to Eastern Europe still going. Obama is no different than Bush.

#18     Apr 27, 2010
  9. I am not sure I totally agree with you. Especially about your comment "better now than later". Why is that? Is the idea to reset now and somehow everything will be rosy afterwards?

Deflation would virtually mean economic activity would come to a standstill as all lending would cease. Also, it would mean 100% certain USA default. At least with inflation, the USA has a chance to pay back creditors. Yes, those holding cash or bonds get fucked, but proper portfolio planning can avert or at least minimalize the destruction in your savings.

#19     Apr 27, 2010
  10. It's really quite scary how many people fail to see this. It's a great strategy though; keep the people polorized and bickering amongst each other. The real threat to the puppetmasters is the people uniting and saying enough is enough. But we are all too comfy running up our credit card bill on crap we think will make us happy and watching American idol that we aren't really interested in taking a glimpse at the big picture. And I can't say I blame "us", it's really quite frightening.

You gotta keep em seperated!

#20     Apr 27, 2010