Peter Arnett is cookoo !!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Babak, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Babak

Babak

Just saw a National Geographic Special on Iraq hosted by PA (I assume made more than a year ago).

This guy is totally bonkers! Here is what he did in the span of that hour. He covered a Saddam birthday rally and said that people were genuinely celebrating and supporting Saddam and that they really did love him. He visited a poor family and said that they really do support Saddam, don't want another government and wouldn't -- in his opinion -- be better off without Saddam in power. And on and on like that....

Not once did he say that there were government minders (which appeared frequently on camera) that were there to observe what he, as a journalist said and did, as well as what the citizens of Iraq said and did. Not once did he say that the people may be under duress.

Having seen this special, I now understand better the position he took when he went on Iraqi TV and basically shilled for them. I don't think anyone who saw his NG special would have been surprised. He was just following his already obvious bias.

Anyone else see the special? What do you think?

:confused:

2. There is a strong parallel between PA's conduct and that of accountants / analysts who compromise their public judgement in their own self interest. During Gulf War I PA's close relations with the Iraqi regime made him a 'star,' just as WCOM hype did for what's-his-name, and the internet stocks for Meeker, Blodget, et al.

Someone posted public comments from that Ritter fellow stating that the Iraqi regime had taken him to visit indescribable children's prisons. I would hate to learn where Ritter's self interests lie ... he should be thoroughly investigated for his conduct vis-a-vis the regime.

The most valuable lesson from the PA episode is that one's reputation and integrity are priceless and once lost may never be fully recovered. Even for anonymous MONK traders, it is an applicable lesson worth refreshing from time to time.

3. Now we have learned that Arnett's conduct was very much in line with CNN's ethics. MSNBC had plenty of notice that this guy was either blinded by anti-Americanism, for sale or just a total toady for Saddam. Edward R. Murrow must be turning over in his grave.