Pesticides-nail to US economy coffin

Discussion in 'Economics' started by AKHENATON, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Allen3

Allen3

Wow! Learn something that can destroy the planet everyday. Had to stop watch history channel and discovery all together.

I have a question for Austinp. I heard you talk about your home garden a good bit and in the last couple years I've started to grow one as well. What critters pollinate my produce if the bees aren't around? Is this messing with the local redneck bees as well or just the go to the office types? I actually live a couple towns over from the Lewisburb, PA keeper, so....

Also as a organic gardener, you ever heard of newspaper and straw to tamp down weeds? Everybody and their momma on the internet has an opinion to what degree this is safe or if it will kill me next year. Can't get a read on if there are just some nut jobs or if there are real issues with the CARBON BLACK!!! Most of the other ingredients are just soy based and shouldn't be to bad. Anyway thanks for the help

#51     May 17, 2008
  2. #52     May 17, 2008
  3. maxpi

maxpi

Support your local growers, buy locally grown, organic food whenever possible....... this krap they sell in the supermarkets is horrible, loaded up with all sorts of garbage that is not for your nutrition but for higher profits and longer shelf life......

#53     May 18, 2008

4. Damn, this was funny :D

thanks for the belly laugh

#54     May 18, 2008

5. HERE HERE!!!!!!!! Nicely put.

#55     May 18, 2008
  6. <i>"Fuck the BEES
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HERE HERE!!!!!!!! Nicely put</i>

Well, I hope you two enjoy eating a steady diet of grain and some meats, because that's all the fare you get if honeybees go extinct.

Wonder why fruits, nuts, candy, icecream and a host of foods are leaping in price? Part of the production costs are higher pollination fees to produce any in the first place. Part of the added costs are less yield due to poor pollination.

But that's ok... just so long as we drill the U.S. like a pin-cushion for oil so one more generation can drive dinosaur vehicles unfettered.

F*ck your children and your grandchildren's quality of this planet and their life, is really what you selfishly said.

American FoulBrood is an existing disease that beekeepers have dealt with for a century. When it hits a hive or apiary, there is no cure. The spores resist everything but boiling in lye solution. Federal mandate is to kill the bees in affected boxes, burn everything and bury those ashes in a hole. AFB spores can lie dormant for roughly 40 years and remain viable.

Beekeepers here have the choice to manage hives with antibiotics for preventative maintanence. Others are breeding bees that show hygenic traits resistant to AFB and other afflictions. I believe a solution to what ails bees lies in breeding localized strains that acclimate to specific climates and areas.

Hopefully darwinism on our part can be sped up to beat man's accelerated pace of natural destruction to the bees, your primary source of pollination for all fruits, nuts and flowering plants.

#57     May 18, 2008
  7. austinp,

go back and study history a little.
    Do you want to go back to the plagues, famines etc.
    We went the organic route for thousands of years, people died sooner, life was harder etc.
    Now its nice to have your little organic farm and claim thats's the only way to be, but try surviving on it exclusively.
    Now that the price of commodities is up, everyone is claiming the poorer nations are gonna starve to death,
    What do you think it would be like if we only produced half of what we are now cause we were all organic farmers.

yes, I hope they find a definitive reason for the bees disappearing, and if it is thiose insecticedes, get rid of them, but until they are sure, I don't think we need toshut everything down.

#58     May 18, 2008
  8. Atheist

Atheist

100% agreed. Most people here seem to be Bush basher and blame US for all the world's ills but never take any personal responsibilities.

#59     May 18, 2008
  9. Daal

Daal

not a big deal, humanity has always made it through its problems. bees going extinct would send food prices soaring then people will figure out other ways to produce, people will change their diets, take supplements, whatever

#60     May 18, 2008