Personality Type Career Guide

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Kimani, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Kimani

Kimani

Hello, my name is Kimani Shorter. I have developed a theory of personality types as well as a career guide to go along with my theory. My idea is based on Carl Jung's theory of archetypes. This is a summary of my concept. I want to see what the interest level is going to be for this.

Shorter Typology

I found a relationship between Carl Jung’s theory of archetypes and disorders and have applied it to the professional world. My theory explores metaphysics and modern psychology. It reconfigures some archetypes and some of the types found on the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) as well a type not found on the DSM into something new.

Archetypes are primal symbols of people. These same archetypes are building blocks in determining personalities. Many individual archetypes are found in people at the same time / over a lifetime. These archetypes separately show fragments of people's unconscious minds. These archetypes combined display a large part or portion of the unconscious mind. When organized into groups of two they spell out psychological conditions. What seems random at first becomes very familiar when placed in a different context.

There are six archetypes in this equation. Each archetype represents a distinctive trait. The Child relies upon others. The Hero is troubled. The Mother is empathetic and comforting. The Shadow is a symbol of apathy. The Trickster lacks morals and standards. The Wise Old Man is insightful.

The six archetypes are divided into three sets. There are two archetypes in each set. The combination of the two archetypes in each set results in a model for psychological conditions. What makes people unique and special is determined by what archetypes are found in them the most.

My theory believes that certain specific archetypes can be applied to the disorder or condition that you have. I've taken six archetypes and paired each two of them together. The two archetypes are then matched to several disorders because of their equivalency. The end result is three distinct types. Each type is defined by two archetypes.

The insightful nature of the Wise Old Man archetype and the troubled nature of the Hero archetype are equivalent to the brilliant but withdrawn nature of people with Asperger's and Bipolar Disorder.

The devoted nature of the Mother archetype and the vulnerable nature of the Child archetype are equivalent to the nurturing dependent nature of people with Codependency Personality Disorder, Dependent Personality Disorder and Avoidant Personality Disorder. The apathetic nature of the Shadow archetype and the sneaky nature of the The Trickster archetype are equivalent to the apathetic manipulative nature of people with Narcissistic Personality disorder, Borderline personality disorder, Histrionic personality disorder and Sociopathy.

There are eleven psychological conditions / types used in this concept. They are Asperger's Syndrome, Bipolar 1, Bipolar 2, Cyclothymia, Avoidant, Codependency, Dependent, Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissism, and Sociopathy. The similar elements of these conditions unify them. They form an entity. These entities are used to define an individual. A person will gravitate towards one of these three entities / types much more than any of the others.

The Designer The Professional The Charmer

The Designer

Archetypes:
    The Hero - troubled
    The Wise Old Man - profound
    Tendencies: withdrawn, creative / insightful
    Dominant Capabilities: composing, equating, calculating
    Conditions: Asperger's Syndrome, Bipolar Spectrum

The Professional

Archetypes:
    The Child - dependency, vulnerable
    The Mother - nurturing, devoted
    Tendencies: generosity, dedication, sacrifice, humility
    Dominant Capabilities: consoling, comforting, compromising
    Conditions: Avoidant, Codependency, Dependent

The Charmer

Archetypes:
    The Shadow - apathy
    The Trickster - devious, sneaky
    Tendencies: impulsive, manipulative
    Dominant Capabilities: enticing, seducing, tempting, exploiting
    Conditions: Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissism, Sociopathy

Based on certain archetypes people have different capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Learning about which archetypes a person displays will help them better understand these capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses and they can apply that information accordingly to professional aspects of their lives.

Everyone has a different role or function in society based on their disposition. My theory of personality helps highlight what people’s different roles or functions is society are. Some people are better at interpersonal skills. Some are quite skilled at being caretakers sand supporters.

2. d08

d08

3. Kimani

Kimani

Dude, like I said before that's not me. I'm nowhere near Florida. I live in Washington, D.C. and I'm fifteen years older than he is.

This is my website: http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/

4. Kimani

Kimani

Why does what race I am matter? I would hope that people would reply to this thread to express interest or curiosity about my theory. Or to just comment on it. So far I haven't gotten any of that.

5. Hi Kimani,
    Interesting concept.

Is there a particular distribution within each archetype?
    e.g.
    do bipolars happen to fall more on the Hero spectrum?
    or aspergers on the Old man spectrum?

is it randomly distributed within each archeotype? Or are there patterns?

Also... have you cross referenced your theory with the kiersey temperaments (could lead to interesting results) ?

http://www.keirsey.com/

6. Kimani

Kimani

The distribution for the two archetypes is equal for each disorder.

I definitely see some correlations between Keirsey's typology and my typology.

Rationals would all be Designer types.

Guardians are Professional types.

Artisans would be the the Charmer types.

I think the Idealists are also the Professional type.

7. Kimani

Kimani