Personal Trading Web Site

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by DVB, Dec 14, 2004.

1. DVB

DVB

Blazing,

Thank you for your suggestions. The trading is already happening as we speak. I already have some people interested, but they want to see at least a year or two of performance.

DVB

#11     Dec 30, 2004
  2. DVB

DVB

Nana Trader,

Yes, I am profitable. As far as being successful, I am reluctant to answer this question. To me a successful trader is the one who can make a living from trading: either from capital gains or from the management fees. None of those are my primary source of income.
    In addition, some of my core positions may be held for as long as a year or two. Does it disqualify me from "traders" camp, and makes me an investor? I don't think the definition matters, as long as one can produce capital gains for him/herself or investors.

Thank you for all your input.

DVB

#12     Dec 30, 2004
  3. DVB

DVB

#13     Dec 30, 2004
  4. DVB

DVB

I have tried sales jobs with a local broker and with the Schwab at the beginning of my career. I was assigned to do cold calling at both firms. I was not born in the US, I moved here nine years ago. Now, what do you think the reaction of people was when a stranger with Russian accent called them, and suggested to invest a big sums of money? :D

Anyway it did not work out well. I had to get a paying job, and get an education. I have been trying to break into equity research side of business or M&A shop ever since. Meanwhile, I had a good career going on the accounting/finance side. The funny thing is that it actually plaid against me. I had a good shot at energy trading position (not with Enron :) ) four years ago, I didn't get it because they couldn't understand why I wanted to drop such a good career and start trading. They basically told me that I didn't know what I was getting into.

DVB

#14     Dec 30, 2004
  5. A quick and easy program for creating websites is Microsoft Frontpage. It won't be anything spectacular, but its easy to use and you can make a respectable looking site with it. You can host your site with digitalspace.net which is the cheapest I know of at $3 per month.

I wouldn't worry about the SEC if you say clearly state that your site is "for educational purposes only and that you are not an investment advisor".

#15     Dec 30, 2004
  6. Hello DVB, thank you for the detailed answers. You are obviously a professional business man and money manager and know what you are doing.

My cable ISP gives me 10 free, 10MB website 'spaces' + 10 email addresses. Without prior experience I built a temporary website using: http://www.ewisoft.com/ a free very easy to use website builder and had the website up and running within a couple of hours. ewisoft has a user forum, perhaps you could ask the forum if the website you want to build could be built with ewisoft.

Clients. Presumably you are living in the US of A. Congratulations on your current command of English.
    Direct unsolicited mail-outs of investment offers to a mailing list of individuals yield on average about 2% in sales of the product. Costs would include brochure (b/w), envelope, postage, labor, cost of rental of a mailing list or time to create one's own. Google mailing lists and associated statistics.

Hire a telemarketer — is telemarketing still possible ?: work at your 'office' or their own. Pay: basic hourly wage plus some sort of bonus for quantity of people who say yes to: "Would you be interested in receiving a written managed account proposal ?" Cold-call business people '9-5' — you know how it works. 30-40 calls per hour. Need some sort of list of names and phone numbers to call from. No idea what the 'closing' % would be from such mail-outs, could be quite high, 30, 50, 70% ?

re: 'Shorting system'; wondering if, if the markets were to go into a decline starting in the 2nd or 3rd quarter, would you still be able to be profitable ?

Please update your progress and your website address when it's up and running.

#16     Dec 30, 2004
  7. birdman

birdman

Work without love is slavery - Mother Teresa

I wish you fun on your adventure:)

#17     Dec 30, 2004
  8. Xtreme

Xtreme

Have a look at www.mxway.com

They offer several web hosting solutions.

Cheers,

Liam O'Brien

#18     Aug 18, 2005
  9. tyrant

tyrant

Hi,

Can somebody suggest where I can learn to create a website which has a a left sidebar and a right sidebar with a middle content column. The sidebars can fit in the links as well as some advertising links or banners or polls etc. I like this kind of format but I cannot find a site with custom templates where I can choose such formats. Most only have a simple content and a navigation bar format.

Thanks

#19     Sep 20, 2005
  10. Xtreme

Xtreme

You will need to create a site with frames (would recommend against it or if you have php knowledge, you can use it with better effects.

Create the 3 individual files, left menu, content, right menu.

Then if your server allows php (most ISP hosting doesn't) turn them into php files or create frames.

Do a search on google about "HTML website frames"

Cheers,

Liam O...

#20     Sep 20, 2005