Personal Trading Web Site

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by DVB, Dec 14, 2004.

1. DVB

DVB

I would like to hear opinions of anybody who is willing to share their thoughts. Here is my situation: I have been trying to break into investment industry for about 7 years now. No luck. I will be 30 next year, and I think it is about time to give up a childhood dream, and start thinking about a reality. I have developed an investing system for stocks that uses fundamental data for stocks selection and price/volume analysis to time the trades. The system is long-biased with occasional hedging with put options.

I would like to create a personal web site, for shameless self-promotion. :cool: The purpose of the site will be to create an honest trading track record, and then, if I am successful enough, to attract investors. I will be trading real money (my rolled over 401k from the previous employer), and posting statements on a daily basis. The site will be relatively small, not more than 5-10 pages: info about myself, info about my trading/investing style, my equity curve vs. SP500, statements from the broker to confirm daily balances.

Questions:

1. Even though the web site is my private project, are there any implications as far as securities laws are concerned? I am not planning to register as an investment advisor until I have a real prospect of getting at least one client. I was planning, however, to e-mail people I know about the project.

2. I am clueless about HTML programming or web designing. Is it possible to pull it on my own in a matter of a month?

3. Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,

DVB

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

http://www.blogger.com/start

or you could battering your trading skill for web building skill.

if you slap the magical phrase 'for education only' on the front page, SEC can't touch you.

3. These things are very simple. All you need can be found on the web for free. If you cannot do this on your own, I would not bet on you making it in the financial world.

4. blazing

blazing

DVB

I'd say the website side of things is the least of your problems. Web sites can be whipped up for a song quickly using basic programs.

See a lawyer or contact the relevant aurthorities as far a the legal side of things go.

Get the trading happening NOW and build up your track record. These results can be transferred to the web anytime in the future.

Finally comments like "...If you cannot do this on your own, I would not bet on you making it in the financial world" should be ignored completely.

Ask Donald Trump to put up a web page on his own and he'd be dead in the water. Puts that theory to bed very quickly I'd say...

Good luck !

Blazing

5. Are you a successful trader or not? i didn't understand above

Use yahoo "site builder" for web designing and web hosting
    i tried it and i made something really nice in just one day.

You can have all options like emailing facility, feedback,
    dropdown menus, Live chat, hits counter... It will take
    you few days to build a nice website, and host it over
    internet for $11. No any experience needed at all.
    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/

If you need to make a very professional site with lot of
    animations, then you need to use some of below:

HTML
    macromedia flashplayer
    Visual basic scripting or Java scripting
    photoshop
    frontpage
    PHP
    and more....

I personally go for yahoo site builder, and don't need the
    hustle for mixing up all above tools or pay someone to do
    it for me. Believe me Yahoo site builder has most thing that
    you need and you shouldn't need more, because customers
    need a service, low prices, and successfull trading record,
    not a very professional looking site

6. DVB, as Blazing stated and I'll repeat, "I'd say the website side of things is the least of your problems."

You state 'attract investors' — to what end specifically ?

Do you have a source of income currently, or will you be living off your trading ? savings ?

What's the importance of the 'month' timeframe ?

Have you prepared a formal Business Plan ?

My experience in obtaining clients, particulary having people 'part with'/invest large sums of money is that is easy, and one can anyway hire salespeople; a website's an after-the-fact 'brochure'.

Again to repeat Blazing's statement "Get the trading happening NOW and build up your track record." if that essentially is what your business depends on. Oh and I'd want a Shorting system included in my 'investment system'.

7. I disagree- while basic HTML is simple, designing something good enough to gain credibility and trust of potential customers is very difficult. It takes creativity and a professional eye for design. I'd strongly recommend he hire someone to do it.

8. I disagree- while basic HTML is simple, designing something good enough to gain credibility and trust of potential customers is very difficult. It takes creativity and a professional eye for design. I'd strongly recommend he hire someone to do it.

9. landboy

landboy

DVB, sorry to hear about your situation. I'm relatively new to this myself and I've JUST broken in. It's tough I know...

But I'm wondering if you've applied to be an investment advisor with the likes of Schwab or the other biggies... They hire a good chunk of people, and its hard, down to earth salesmanship that will get you the clients, not just sound investment advice.

Anyways, if you have tried that route, my apologies

10. The way I see it noone can keep you from your dream if you're good. What do I mean by that? If you're netting 30% a year in your accounts, it won't take that long to be in the several millions. And if you're techniques work with size, then, well just remember all us little people...

#10     Dec 26, 2004