Perpetual, I spent 100K to go to school and cannot earn income.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by noob_trad3r, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Can someone here explain this? Someone with an International Business degree and MBA applying for an hourly job at a grocer? What am I missing?

His degree seems like a pretty marketable degree, especially the part where its an International BS degree?? So why look for minimum wage bagboy jobs at a grocery with that degree. Something does not add up.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38364681/ns/business-economy_at_a_crossroads/

Jordan Hueseman, 25, accrued roughly $100,000 in student loans at the University of Denver earning a bachelor's degree in international business and a master's in business administration. On the job hunt, he found his graduate degree sometimes hindered more than it helped.
    “At one point, I applied to Whole Foods, hoping they might see some potential for me to move to some type of management position,” Hueseman said. “The e-mail I received from them said I was far too overqualified for any of their hourly positions and as such would not be considered for a position.”

#51     Aug 5, 2010
  2. I don't understand why American parents can't turn to their sons or daughters for help in their old age. A woman living in her car in Santa Barbara is too ashamed to let her daughters know she was homeless.

A few years ago, a security guard at my condo complex said that his 2 sons were doing well, but he couldn't let his sons know that he needed help. When the truck he needed to get to and from work broke down, the repairs took his entire paycheck of 2 weeks and he had no money left for food.

#52     Aug 7, 2010
  3. I can't feel any sympathy for that sod. If he was so destitute, he could have applied for SNAP benefits. In California you can get a $200 benefit as a single person with less than $2k in the bank and a certain low earning level. If this fool spends his last penny on fixing his truck, he most certainly qualifies for SNAP.

#53     Aug 8, 2010
  4. It takes time for the benefits to come thru. I don't know if his income of $7.50/hour, 40 hours a week, that is about $300/wk or $1200/mo might had disqualify him for food stamps in 2005 as a single adult with no dependents.

In any case, his office manager bought him some groceries out of her own pocket when she couldn't get him any advance on his paycheck.

#54     Aug 8, 2010
  5. This is an easy one.
    If the economy does not demand college graduates (i.e. there are no job openings), then suddenly the VALUE of a college education goes to near zero.
    This should result in mass layoffs of college professors, etc. and huge austerity programs at all colleges.

#55     Aug 8, 2010
  6. #56     Aug 10, 2010
  7. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/04/your-money/04money.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

I found this one. Might as well add to the pile.

Nobody likes unpleasant surprises, but when Allison Eastman’s fiancé found out four months ago just how high her student loan debt was, he had a particularly strong reaction: he broke off the engagement within three days.

170K debt in a degree on how to use a camera. YES!! 170K to learn how to take pictures.

Nice Piece of ass but not worth 170K

[​IMG]

#57     Sep 3, 2010
  8. kashking

kashking

Housing bubble was much better. At least in the housing bubble you got to live in a nice house. Now you just have a bunch of brain-dead debt slaves with nothing to show for it.

#58     Sep 3, 2010
  9. Wow her pictures are terrible!!

http://www.allisonbrookephotography.com/

170K to learn how to take overexposed/over sharpened, poorly composed photographs with poor technical skills to boot. It is obvious she had to do lots of photoshop processing to get the pictures to attempt at correcting poor technical skills.

No wonder college is a joke. What the hell did they teach her?

#59     Sep 3, 2010
  10. poyayan

poyayan

Actually, the women in the picture is not Allison Eastman. This one will likely owe $250k but she is a medical student.

#60     Sep 3, 2010