Perpetual, I spent 100K to go to school and cannot earn income.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by noob_trad3r, Aug 3, 2010.

1. +1 survival of the fittest.

The smart ones who are jobless change and adapt to find employment, while others sit around and complain about there not being any jobs.

#31     Aug 4, 2010
  2. we are not a strange lot, we are capitalist

Two different things

Same goes 2nd and 3rd generation of hispanics as well.

#32     Aug 4, 2010
  3. Retief

Retief

Hispanics live in Europe. Latinos live in the Americas.

#33     Aug 4, 2010
  4. zdreg

zdreg

If I make "unwieldy sums of money" is it your business how I spend it?

#34     Aug 4, 2010
  5. Retief

Retief

It's the government's business. They must take all or most of it and redistribute it to ensure that it is spent wisely.

#35     Aug 4, 2010
  6. zdreg

zdreg

you should have added a smiley to your post but it is doubtful that was what stock777 was saying.

#36     Aug 4, 2010
  7. japanese, koreans and chinese are very capitalist as well but they take care of their parents.

#37     Aug 4, 2010
  8. What's Wrong With the American University System

Look, it's not easy. In the book, we did a little exercise on which students Harvard Law School takes. What we discovered was that they play it safe. If you've gone to Brown or Dartmouth or Princeton, you can walk into Harvard Law School. Almost half their incoming students are from what we call the Golden Dozen colleges. The other half are taken from all over the place: Transylvania in Kentucky, Linfield in Oregon. Harvard likes to let in people who are already, shall we say, "one of us." But it also gives people a second chance. An applicant may have started at Missouri Western State, but they want some people from Missouri Western State.

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...ng-with-the-american-university-system/60458/

#38     Aug 4, 2010
  9. gobar

gobar

wall street is killing main street.

i say increase taxes on all risky investment like stocks, futures etc upto 40 %.

higher the risk higher should be the taxes..

buying first home should get tax break but buying second home should be taxed by 30 to 40 % and so on..

give tax breaks to small business owner and small companies.

#39     Aug 4, 2010
  10. I would mostly disagree with what you said. Think about it. At 49 she has what, 10-15 years of working left, at least? A person who is 49 and looking for a job is looking for something stable where they can work awhile. They aren’t going to work somewhere to gain skills and then leave for another company the first chance they get. Think about it, you are a hiring manager and somebody comes to you and says they want a job however at most they will only work for the company for 10-15 years. Think about it, what employer would say no to that? Older people are more reliable, more stable, and bring more of a “presence” if you will, to a workplace.

I think there are some exceptions to this though, mostly dependant on the job. Like for instance, I started selling cars a year ago. I was deliverying pizza at the time, so you’d think I wouldn’t be the most prime candidate. I think pretty much the only reason I got hired was because I told them I play golf and my living expenses are fairly low so I can go a few months without making much money. Basically, I told them I would stick it out for as long as I could to see if I could make it. One year later, I am no Alec Baldwin, but I’m still there and doing fairly well. A few older people have been hired after me that were new to the car business and none of them have lasted. They all needed to start making money quickly, and they couldn’t. That’s not the way it works. You have to first put the effort in. I’m pretty sure I was willing to do most things that others weren’t, basically being everybody’s bitch so I could learn the business. I also have an older salesman who I confide in that has helped me a lot.

So basically I’m saying that I don’t think employers stay away from older people if they think they will last. 22 year old’s with a degree are a dime a dozen. Older people have life experience, which can only be learned. Maybe I have no idea what I’m talking about. Whatever. I’m 26, btw.

#40     Aug 4, 2010