Perpetual, I spent 100K to go to school and cannot earn income.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by noob_trad3r, Aug 3, 2010.

1. are you sure its a hotel, its probably a motel

#21     Aug 3, 2010
  2. That's what I thought too when Denver mayor several years ago wanted to adopt the Philidelphia plan of 100k per homeless to take care of them. I could live of 40k for 2 of us easy if I had to. We forget that it takes people to administer these programs otherwise fraud and cheating are the norm. Give them 30k with no check ups and they will drink and drug it away in the street still homeless.

So now the cost have gone up because now this lady don't just get UI they have to work for it and someone has to administer that program and that person has benefits, UI, workmen's comp, you get the picture.

#22     Aug 3, 2010
  3. Mayhem

Mayhem

She has no gumption and no common sense. If we believe her story, she went down to Tennessee looking for work, couldn't find any, so now she is driving up to Vermont. She is out of money, so long-lost friends are wiring her cash, and she is using it to stay in hotels and using the complimentary wireless connections to send out resumes.

The idiot needs to down some coffees or Red Bulls or No-Doz and just complete the trek to Vermont already. Then, she would have a couple of hundred bucks and her sob story to get someone to rent her a room on a monthly basis. Then, should could get a job at a Waffle House and within a month or two get her life into a manageable routine. Instead, she takes the charity money and stays in hotels. So, when she finally gets her butt to Vermont, she's gonna be penniless again.

She's an English-speaking, White woman, with a college degree. Illegal Mexicans who can't even master the word "yes" get jobs that keep them fed and help them get established in a foreign land, with a language and culture they barely understand. This lady should be able to walk into any Waffle House or bed n' breakfast in Vermont and get a job that will generate some cash and will provide one or two complimentary meals a day for her and her cat.

Plus, she has 3 adult sons... none of which are in any position to help her. Apparently, she is as successful a mother as she is a business person. I am embarrassed for this stranger, and the best thing anyone can do for this lady is to snuff her out with a pillow over her face like that big Indian did to Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

And... this? This? Is the poster cat lady for more than 99 weeks of welfare? God damn it, if we were at sea, I would have that woman walk the plank. Sharks gotta eat too.

#23     Aug 3, 2010
  4. A hispanic son would never ever let his mom end up homeless, Americans are a strange lot.

#24     Aug 3, 2010
  5. One of the reasons I married my wife is she is European. Europeans, in general, are into traditional family values which are more important than material crap to them.

That said some are just to stubborn or lazy to get it. There is a fine line between enabling and supporting.

Finally, we all know, or should, that sensationalism sells, hell look at ET, this is an outlier.

#25     Aug 3, 2010
  6. rew

rew

+2, Insightful

#26     Aug 3, 2010
  7. Exactly. I take it a step further. People making unwieldy sums of money who spend recklessly are as big a threat the stability as the imbeciles that borrow to spend recklessly.

If you don't respect money you are sure to misuse it.

#27     Aug 3, 2010

8. She could crash at a dorm bed in HI (hostel) about 16$/night in most cities. Sometimes if one is staying long-term, one may be able to get a work exchange, like doing the reception a few hours each day in exchange for stay.

I stayed in enough hostels in Europe and a few in the USA. They are fun places to meet people. Usually hostelers are friendlier and less uptight than folks who stay in hotels/motels. Some hostels have shared kitchen too.

#28     Aug 4, 2010
  9. it generally takes many years to recoup the cost of a degree. starting at 49 is way too late. even if she completed her degree i doubt she would have broken even, considering the years of lost wages + tuition.

at 49, people's mental skills and health tend to decline. it means more sick days and higher health insurance costs for the company. that's why companies are reluctant to hire older workers who are starting a new career.

#29     Aug 4, 2010
  10. What? colleges became businesses? What?

#30     Aug 4, 2010