"Permanent job loss" fallacy. There is no permanent job loss!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by trade4succes, May 24, 2009.

1. jprad

jprad

Failed? The first automobile was built by Benz in 1888. It, like carriages, were built by hand. It wasn't until 20 years later with the mass-produced Model T that cars finally became cheap enough to begin the decline of the horse-drawn vehicle as the primary mode of transportation.

As far as better paid, it should be pretty obvious that you can pay someone a lot less when you only have to teach them a task, like mounting a wheel, then you would for a craftsman who builds the entire unit from start to finish by hand.

If you still don't believe me you really should read up on the low pay, long hours and horrid working conditions of early factory workers that led to the unionization movement in this country.

Here's the web site for careers at Yahoo!

http://careers.yahoo.com/

Select "all" for a job category and tell us just how good the job prospects at Yahoo! are for displaced postal workers.

#41     May 26, 2009
  2. jprad

jprad

Your entire argument presupposes that the total GDP is constant because it moves from one industry to the next as one goes away and another rises.

Cancer and diabetes are two of the most prevalent and expensive diseases that society has to pay for. If they were cured then entire industries would disappear along with them.

But, so would that money because not everyone pays for their healthcare, and those that do often have most of the bill paid for by their insurance company.

So, if cancer and diabetes were cured the total GDP would drop and the per capita GDP would drop even further as more and more people live longer and remain healthy enough to work longer instead of becoming disabled by their disease.

Any hypothetical that requires you to suspend reality is nothing more than a fantasy.

#42     May 26, 2009
  3. Why do I see so many mortgage offices closed all over the city & boroughs?

#43     May 26, 2009
  4. Or it means that we bought things (our trade deficit) and the dollar went and stayed out of the US. It does not mean what you have said in any of your previous posts.

When a dollar is in the US, then there is a high multiplier effect. When it is out of the US, then it has none of that impact.

It should be obvious from everyone else they do not think you are well-versed in this subject. Giving your unsubstantiated opinion turns your arguments into sand.

You have proven nothing, and I do not plan to waste more time reading your responses on this subject, so you may speak into the breeze...

#44     May 26, 2009
  5. One day soon we will arrive at the conclusion that many jobs are indeed worthless. They contribute very little and have only grown in size due to the asset value/debt based service sector economy (FIRE ECONOMY) grew along with fiat money. So yes, job losses will be permanent - at least for my lifetime - until the next monetary expansion/super debt cycle grows in another 50 years only to implode yet again 70-80 years hence.

[​IMG]

#45     May 26, 2009
  6. LOL!

I laughed my head off!

That was the funniest picture I've seen all year!

thanks

:D

#46     May 26, 2009
  7. Cutten

Cutten

Your are trying to convince ignoramuses with facts and logic. Good luck with that.

#47     May 26, 2009
  8. Cutten

Cutten

The logical conclusion of your line of reasoning is that if all goods and services could be immediately conjured out of thin air at no cost and without limit, then living standards would collapse.

#48     May 26, 2009
  9. Cutten

Cutten

If this were true then living standards would decline consistently over the years. The Stone Age would have been the wealthiest period in human history, and we would be much poorer and worse paid than people in the Middle Ages. The Industrial Revolution would have caused a surge in poverty and a collapse in wages and other benefits. The exapansion of global trade in the 1990s and 2000s would have made us all much poorer compared to 1989.

#49     May 26, 2009
  10. Cutten

Cutten

In economic terms there'd be a significant benefit. GDP, living standards, and wages would all rise more than in the absence of the cure.

#50     May 26, 2009