Perl API for FIX Protocol

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ndawood, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Bsulli

Bsulli

Home grown function called implicit tagging to be offer to the Fix protocol org at the next week meeting.

You can file this info in the fwiw category. Thought if of interest so I am passing it along. From the Security Industry News website.

Bandwidth Drives CME's API Options

By John Sandman, Standards Editor

November 11, 2004 - Since deciding to replace its proprietary application program interface (API) for market data with an open standard earlier this year, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange has taken its time deciding which open standard to adopt. The Merc needs to get the project to the beta stage sometime next year, however, and bandwidth considerations--driven by customer complaints about the cost of connectivity and network usage--will likely decide the issue. The Merc's associate director of electronic business architecture, Matt Simpson, says the exchange has not yet made a final decision between FISDMessage--an XML-based standard that builds on the market data definition language (MDDL) developed by the Finance Information Services Division (FISD) of the Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA)--and a homegrown solution called "implicit tagging." A clear preference for home cooking is beginning to show itself, however. "All of the efforts and the serious proofs of concepts have been with implicit tagging," says Simpson. "We haven't taken those steps with the FISDMessage." The Merc will come to the FIX Protocol Ltd. Americas Conference 2004 in New York on Nov. 16 and 17 to talk about its market data proof of concept for the implicit tagging system, "which appears very promising," Simpson says. "Because implied tagging is based on an open standard--FIX--we're going to take it to the next step. I don't know if we're going to have time to go back and look at FISDMessage."

Have a great weekend all.

Bsulli

#11     Nov 13, 2004
  2. Are you serious??? Who cares? It's not like your order is being sent by carrier pigeon. Even if you used a broker across the street the packets would probably go through California anyway.

Martin

#12     Nov 14, 2004
  3. nitro

nitro

I am serious. I care - for my purposes, routing to LA from Chicago and back may as well go by carrier pigeon. Your last statement is false if you are in Chicago, and generally false if you are not in LA.

nitro

#13     Nov 14, 2004
  4. If you have a dedicated line, I do agree. Otherwise, if you go through the internet you can't know. It could go through Australia.

#14     Nov 14, 2004
  5. nitro

nitro

Yes you can know, it's called traceroute.

nitro

#15     Nov 14, 2004
  6. orenmnero

orenmnero

That really shouldn't happen. The internet is not a network of pears, it is a network of networks. In that respect it is a heirarchy built up around routers which determine where packets go.

The job of a router is simple:

1) get the packet to its destination
    2) do not send the data where it is not needed

If I send a packet to a computer on my home lan, my router knows that it would be completely uneccesary to route the packet to my ISP. Likewise if I send a packet to another subscriber to my ISP, their router would never send it out to the Chicago Internet backbone. Finally, if two companies are connected to the Chicago Internet backbone, that router would never route to Australia, or even Wisconsin for that matter. Traceroute can, and does, verify this.

This accomplishes two things. It gives me the shortest path to my destination given me smallest latency. And it also won't clog up Australia with a bunch of data it has no use for. If it wasn't for routers, the Internet would very likely collapse on itself, and performance would be far more unreliable than it is already.

#16     Nov 14, 2004
  7. For a moment, yes. And in one hour, 10 days ? Sure it won't be the same anymore.

#17     Nov 14, 2004
  8. I wish the internet was working so well... It would be more efficient. The problem is it hasn't been designed like this at the beginning.

#18     Nov 14, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

All networks interfaces and gateways have a metric. While it is possible to have a packet get routed way away from it's closest peer, that would only happen if there was no other choice, i.e., the lowest metric was down. That happens maybe three times a year or less if you are with a quality provider.

You need to read up on how the Internet works.

I regularly check my traceroutes and have a pingplotter going at all times with logs.

nitro

#19     Nov 14, 2004
  10. See my answer above and read some books...:)

#20     Nov 14, 2004