Performing searches with wildcard characters

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Slope Trader, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Hi,

I was looking for an old journal thread today that was created by a poster named nukethewhales31. I remembered that his handle began with nukethewhales but didn't remember the number.

I did an advanced search using "Posted by Member" and entering nukethewhales got no result because it wasn't a perfect match to nukethewhales31. I also tried nukethewhales* and nukethewhales?, but adding these wildcard characters also didn't work.

Is there a way to do searches that can produce partial matches to words or to member aliases, perhaps using a different wildcard character than the ones I have tested?

2. destriero

destriero

Type nukethewhales -> scan output -> fifth thread was authored by nuke: https://www.elitetrader.com/et/search/8818719/ -> click on user -> click on posts when popup appears -> all posts appear, chronologically.

Sorry, but this ain't exactly advanced interwebs 301.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  3. Interesting, I started by typing nukethewhales into the general search box at the top of this page but the search got no hits.

I finally discovered his handle was nukethewhales31 by leaving Elitetrader and doing a Google search with keywords Elitetrader and nukethewhales, which led to internal Elitetrader threads that I was subsequently able to follow back to one of his old threads. Wildcard characters can be used with Google searching.

Don't know why the initial internal Elitetrader search gave no hits, perhaps a glitch. As I mentioned, advanced searching by name using the Posted by Member search box also didn't work unless the exact spelling was used.