Performance of Rolling ZB Futures vs Holding VUSTX/TLT

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Cyrix, Sep 13, 2016.

1. While you don't need the specific rates, but rather just GC, history of LIBOR is still easier to obtain. However, I don't think it's the right approximation, especially in this day and age. In fact, at the moment, there's a LOT of action occurring, which makes things even more dicey.

And yeah, I think you've given him what he needs.

#21     Sep 15, 2016
  2. Cyrix

Cyrix

I tried to create a TR series using the return column and got a series like this, which didn't look right.

[​IMG]

The formula is basically =previous value*(1+return/100)

The spreadsheet is here.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9846094/Public/Bond Futures TR.Chart.xlsx

Could you please take a look and let me know what I did wrong?
    Thanks again for you help.

#22     Sep 15, 2016
  3. G2 should be equal to B2

Rest of column G should be G2+D3

D3 should be IF(or(isblank(B3),isblank(b2)),0,B3-B2)

If you want % returns, take them off G3

GAT

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    #23     Sep 16, 2016
  4. Cyrix

Cyrix

Thanks for clarifying.
    I tried these formulas, and noticed that the TR series has only grown 3 times over the past four decades, with CAGR at 3%.

My friend who has a Bloomberg terminal found a ticker MLT1US30 Index (Merrill Lynch 30 Year Treasury Bond Futures TR) on Bloomberg and it had grown 35 times at CAGR of 9%.

[​IMG]

Why is the difference so large?

The spreadsheet is located here.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9846094/Public/Bond Futures TR.Chart.xlsx

Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    #24     Sep 16, 2016
  5. One is a cumulated series, the other cumprod. Also the ML index might include an interest component.

GAT

#25     Sep 16, 2016
  6. Cyrix

Cyrix

Do you know how to replicate a cumprod from your data source?
    I tried but got the chart on post #22 above.

Thanks.

#26     Sep 16, 2016
  7. kassad

kassad

According to this article: https://alphaarchitect.com/2015/04/...sting-how-should-we-invest-in-treasury-bonds/

The Merrill Lynch Bond futures Total Return Indexes measure the performance of a fully collateralized rolling U.S. Treasury Futures position, and can be replicated via rolling 15 days prior to First Notice and an investment of the cash collateral in T-Bills. So the large difference between the GAT ZB Bond line and the MLT1US30 line comes from the T-Bills! The performance of the MLT1US30 is a lot closer to TLT or holding the cash bond itself then the GAT ZB Bond performance (or the performance of the continious 30 year treasury bond future) which lags a lot in comparison.

Can anybody tell me how to get the same performance as TLT ×2 or MLT1US30×2 (or insert your desired multiplier) using the ZB futures contract if you have a long time horizon? It is not as simple as putting up only half the collateral instead of full collateral, as that doesn't cover the T-bill component...

#27     Jan 18, 2018