Per share fee versus ticket

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Janette Perez, May 2, 2002.

1. Janette Perez

Janette Perez TradeStation Technologies

The question of a per share fee versus ticket is a great one. I believe it really depends on the size lot you regularly trade. When trading smaller shares, you’re able to save on commission costs by not paying ticket charges, ECN fees, or brokerage pass through fees. You’re not penalized when canceling and replacing or faced with partial fills. And, you have the extra benefit of having the flexibility to scale out, or even in, of your positions without paying additional charges. You’re basically paying for the shares you want.

TradeStation Securities now offers you 1.2¢ per share up to 1500 shares, and only 3/4¢ per share for each share above 1500 shares (on orders up to 5000 shares). Our commissions include all ECN, SelectNet, SuperSoes, NYSE, and AMEX charges. If you routinely trade over 5,000 shares, I’d be happy to speak with you personally.

What does a per share fee mean to you? It means your commission is a low $3.00 on orders of 250 shares, and just $6.00 on orders of 500 shares. Here are some additional examples:

Let’s say you want to open a 2000 share position, and want to test the market by scaling in with 500 share increments. With TradeStation Securities, you’ll pay just $6.00 for each 500 share order for a total charge of $24.00—including ECN fees (1.2¢ x 2000 shares). If you were under a ticket commission structure, the ticket charges per position, plus ECN fees could quickly add up to much more.

Or, let’s say you have an open 1000 share position and were filled on 700. The market moves away, and you have to cancel and replace your remaining 300 share order. With TradeStation Securities, your total commission would be $12.00 (1.2¢ x 1000 shares). Again, if you were under a ticket commission structure, you would pay 2 ticket charges plus ECN fees.

One last point I'd like to make is that you should consider an Agency-Only brokerage. Because TradeStation Securities acts as agent and not principal for any of your trades, our efforts are purely in your best interest. So, you won't find conflicts of interest that can affect where your order is routed. By design, we do not own a market maker, we do not do proprietary trading for our own account and have no stock inventory to sell to clients so that we profit. We are motivated by a one objective: To help our clients achieve optimal trading results by helping them obtain the best available execution on each and every trade and by providing them with the TradeStation 6 trading platform.

And remember, TradeStation 6 is the first trading platform that offers you two additional advantages you won’t find anywhere else--the power to test custom trading strategies historically to identify strategies that have worked in the past, and then automate the execution of those strategies in real-time.

Janette Perez
    Vice President Sales
    TradeStation Securities, Inc.
    Member NASD, SIPC and NFA

2. The question of a per share fee versus ticket is a great one....

Hi Janet,

As a TS6 user, I'm thrilled that you are online and available to answer some of my questions. Especially the ones concerning Not So Easy Language. But regarding tickets vs per share....... First, does "ticket" refer to a flat fee arrangement - like datek and other firms have. And secondly, why are you answering your own question?

Have a good one.:cool:

3. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

This message has been up nearly 2 hours without anyone screaming about blatent SPAM.

You're doing pretty good so far! Dammit, Janette! (sorry couldn't help the Rocky Horror reference)

Welcome to ET!