Peplink Dual-Wan Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trader13, Aug 28, 2011.

1. dc101

dc101

#31     Oct 25, 2011
  2. Trader13

Trader13

No, unfortunately I don't because my online research consisted of google searches for this topic and I read various posts on technical discussion forums. The same theme kept recurring, which is why I created this thread.

I also acknowledge that other posters on this thread disagree, as they have had good experience with their consumer brand routers, or recommend a lower cost custom build solution. I have no arguments with them. Take all these comments as input to your purchase decision. My only caution is that you are considering two redundant network carriers (DSL, Cable) because you demand high reliability, so don't skimp on the router. Your router is a single point of failure without a redundant failover solution. If your router fails, you are shut down.

#32     Oct 26, 2011
  3. +1. great point. IMO you should be fine just buying a xincom and be done with it. although in general commercial grade products are better than retail, this isn't always the case. i've heard stories re csco dual wan routers being pieces of crap wheres a retail competitor costing 10% works fine.

another solution for backup internet - most of us have smartphones. you can use tethered internet to a laptop/desktop using diff programs depending on your phone. pdanet is free and works on all major phone os' (rimm, iphone, android) although AFAIK does NOT support secure connections - for that you need to pay. for iphone you need to jailbreak it for certain tethering to work. not sure re android.

#33     Oct 26, 2011
  4. lwlee

lwlee

WNDR3700 is an excellent router. It has gigabit ethernet while Peplink/Syswan don't.

I like minimal boxes if possible. But the days when I liked to tinker with hardware are long past. Configuring OpenWRT requires digging into the arcane config files.

If the Peplink or Syswan had a gigabit model, I would probably take the lazy route and just swap out the Netgear. As it stands, I'll probably give OpenWRT a shot. I have to add still another box (gigabit switch) since I've out of ports.

#34     Oct 26, 2011
  5. Mr_You

Mr_You

In the past I've had problems with consumer-grade and commercial grade solutions (Watchguard uggh). But regarding consumer routers, usually its always been a buggy proprietary OS. After upgrading to a Linux-based OS such as OpenWRT the problems go away.

Everything can't be configured through the LuCI GUI? Let us know how it goes.

#35     Oct 26, 2011
  6. Eight

Eight

and the 502 is said to be a rebranded Hotbrick.. I had two fail, I believe it was related to powerline glitches.

The beauty of the Hotbrick was that it was very easy to program to whitelist a few url's.

#36     Oct 26, 2011
  7. dc101

dc101

Not 100% sure, but I believe that Hotbrick was also re-branded Xincom. Xincom has been around for quite some time. I've purchased two 502s and they've been working fine for years. I always use surge-protect power bars or ups because routers are generally very voltage sensitive.

#37     Oct 27, 2011