People with degrees making 13 bucks an hour

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 7, 2009.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Just to be fair. In the past I worked for a very large networking company that included a good number of H1-B visa holders from India in the U.S. and employees at sites in India. A good number of the people I worked with from India were very bright and hard-working.

The biggest issue that we had with the employees/contractors in India were that they tended to jump ship in less than a year going to the next company down the road for a higher paycheck. The H1-B visa holders in the U.S. were stuck; they could not jump ship to move to the company down the road for a higher paycheck. Many did not get pay raises for their entire stay in the U.S.

#71     Dec 9, 2009
  2. American diaspora down the road, that's what I'm beginning to see. We can't promise that our kids or their kids will have a respectable life. Already some of my friends decided to go overseas to make their living.

Don't be surprise, like immigrants in the past coming here, that our children emigrate to wherever. "America Town" won't just be a Simpsons creation.

#72     Dec 9, 2009
  3. This is nonsense!

First, H1B is alive and well. Its pace in the tech sector has slowed recently partly due to the success of the program. H1B's have completely saturated the tech industry. There is nothing left for them to take so they are moving onto other industries.

Second, H1B should be viewed as an immigration program with long term impact on the supply and demand of labor in the US. Each H1B brings over a spouse (that often begins working within a year) and also brings over other family members within a few years. So each H1B multiplies into 2-3 white collar working adults in the US every 5 years.

Third and finally, as Matloff has shown: http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/Mich.pdf, many H1Bs start their own outsourcing firms within a few years of gaining experiencing, hence, expediting the outsourcing problem that you mentioned above.

#73     Dec 9, 2009
  4. First of all I must say that some people in this post don't realize that they leave in a market economy...

So he will have only on choice... to move where his skills have value... If he doesn't find a job it means that his skills aren't skills... but just unmarketable knowledge.

This is the most unamerican post that I have read on this forum. It clearly illustrate the lack of knowledge of some people. America was made by foreigner, for foreigner, against the native. I know it's hard. But as long as I know no one of us here is responsible for the past mistakes. Today the Natives don't feel anymore social pressure than other individuals...

1 ) I totally agree with you as a latter poster said, they are "slaverights"...

2 ) I don't know what's an OPT, however I know that someone who spend 3/5 years studying in Us university is as american as you...

3 ) Probabilities, are God walking incognito... A. Einstein...

4 ) This is the greatest indicator ever. It's called vote with your foot... And this, no one can stop it. It's strong, it's clear, it's total, it's the mind meet the flesh. However the day this trend will reverse, I hope that you will realize what it means early...

5 ) yeah ! throw them away !! like you do with your garbage... Don't think, trash it. You know even Kings realized this a long time ago... Your birth don't make you someone... It's just prove that you were the fastest spermatozoon... However, as the Us is market Economy, living in a false state of scarcity, it needs the most efficient person... Not because they are ( insert the word that you want ), but because they do the job better...

The greatest invention of all time, based on the decentralization idea... based on sharing... based on equality. (4eveR Net neutrality ). However, the humble will always be more respected. The internet is a global field. The always expending frontier, always at the edge of the exponential... Only possible for free individual.

Did you realize that they leave in a state of plentyness... where there was no scarcity... And everything was free !

It's always a pleasure to read someone really smart... ( what's your game about ? ). That's America, sharing, innovating, making a product ready for the market... Understanding today and tomorrow issue... Not being in the past trying to analyse... How someone want to analyse an ever accelerating exponential trend ? Live the dream !

Yeah that's thinking... not feeling :)

Thank you for explaining the path to "slavery" ! ( to the one arrived earlier, remember it will raise you land value :) )

The Leader of CCCP knew it, he was named Gorbatchov... He knew that you can make up the vote of the hands however the vote of the foot is unstoppable... Even with an Ironwall...

You don't remember the ideal of the founding father of America ?

#74     Dec 9, 2009
  5. A lot of good points. I used elance also, and it was amazing what you can get done offshore and for a low price. This is one of the models of the future, much to the job destructive chagrin of the west...

Why hire whiny locals, where you need office space, benefits, govt and legal headaches, to train someone who may have the skills you need and then jump ship later for more $$$,

when you can outsource a lot of IT, HR, writing, accounting, and many other functions (offshore, consultants, vendors, off-the-shelf SW, some support functions, some analysis, etc.), saving money and headaches and just focus on the essentials, process and procedures of your business.

For example, I never used a place like H&R Block. You get Turbotax or similar, and do your own taxes. If complicated, get an accountant to help you set up the first year, and you can probably do them yourself. If audited, you will possess the knowledge to defend yourself, rather than find out your personal tax preparer left the company...

It is amazing what skills can be found on elance, guru, rentacoder and other places for cheap. Although you have to be on top of these people, because sometimes their English or their claimed skills are wrong. You need to grill/screen them to verify they can communicate effectively, and ensure their skills are what they claim (asking a few questions and maybe have them do one step of the project to ensure that they have the skills to do it).

#75     Dec 9, 2009
  6. even if you get accepted, your foreign "cheap" grad degree might be useless in the west.

For grad school, if your grades are good, try and get into a decent public university in your state/province. And apply for any student loans/grants or teaching/research assistantships.

And most cheap countries are going to make it hard for you to get a job there.

#76     Dec 9, 2009
  7. 151

I have to respectfully disagree. I know several men and women with more than enough intelligence and will power to become engineers or scientist. They never even considered it.

Now I do not know why they didn't consider it. But to say there is a lack of them because of the difficulty would require that people did consider those fields and chose others.

I also know a few men and women that have what it would take and yet they have very low levels of education.

My father races dirt track stock cars. Its like a poor mans nascar/rally racing. You guys would be amazed at some of the ideas that these people are able to come up with, design, manufacture, put to use, and then improve upon.

I mean some very very in depth stuff. And they do it with no background in physics or engineering and with no education.

There are potentially tens of thousands of qualified scientist types in our country that will never want or be able to work in the industry.

That makes me think that the problem is deeper than salary levels and educational choices

#77     Dec 9, 2009
  8. I forgot to add

There is one more program called WAT (Work and Travel) which allows for any inernational student to come to US with a temporary work visa usually around 3 months during the summer time. American businesses want them because of being dirt cheap labor. This is not fair to the American people who can not find jobs.

#78     Dec 9, 2009
  9. You are so 1800s wake up my friend

There are more than 20MM people looking for a job and you are trying to justify work permits given to foreigners?

What is your education? Never mind, you are waste of time.

#79     Dec 9, 2009