People with degrees making 13 bucks an hour

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 7, 2009.

1. I don't think soft drinks were sold in liters in the US during the '60s, and I doubt they had any retail bottles even approaching the 2-liter size in those days. We're talking about Earth, right?

#11     Dec 7, 2009
  2. Gab,

How were the bottle at this time ?

#12     Dec 7, 2009
  3. Coke was sold in 32 & 64oz plastic bottles during the 70's up until the 80's, as well as the smaller glass bottles!

#13     Dec 7, 2009
  4. Well if a man earns a dollar a day you can't sell him a 10 dollar steak.

wont globalization over time mean a drop in wages to a mean of sorts and prices as well?

prices stayed kind of high in the us because of cheap credit and people charging it.

but cheap credit is going away.

#14     Dec 7, 2009
  5. I work in the tech sector and personally know 6 people with computer science degrees who can't find stable full time jobs. 4 of them are actually really smart and are hardworking but they are forced to take contract positions and whatever random part-time work they can find.

#15     Dec 7, 2009
  6. That is because techsector is next after manufacturing for offshoring to foreign countries.

Silicone valley will be the detroit of the future.

I heard that later it would be accountants,etc..

#16     Dec 7, 2009
  7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Which leaves the only industries left in the U.S. as retail and service.... paying an average of $10 to $13 per hour.... not a very optimistic future.

#17     Dec 7, 2009
  8. What was home lending like in '64?
    How could you not afford a house that cost "only" 2x your income? Nowadays people are/were buying houses with a relative cost much higher then that.

#18     Dec 7, 2009
  9. Keep this in mind when thinking about globalization. It's not just about low skilled labor.

India and China combined have a popualtion of about 2.5 Billion people.

Let's take the top 10% of their populations and assume that this number represents the best and brightest.

That's 250 million people.

Our total population is 307 million people. Our top ten percent would be almost 31 million.

I'll admit, that there are many intelligent (top 10%ers) people in both India and China that will not be using their intellectual talents anytime soon - they may be living in a remote region, or belong to a lower caste, etc...

Nonetheless... there are a lot of them out there... and many of them would be happy working for 10 dollars a day.

#19     Dec 7, 2009
  10. I can't wait for the day some cultural studies major from Duke tells me they can't find a job...

...what, Fredric Jameson didn't warn you about this economic crisis??!!?

#20     Dec 7, 2009